Dondon Dondon
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/5/2018 12:35
Newish set up #1
HI everyone. I know you've probably heard questions like this all of the time but please I really need some advice as I am trying to do the best for my fish. I am on my third tank now but the other 2 already came cycled.
I have been setting up a 55g tank. I was doing a fishless cycle for 10 days using sand that was already in the tank and some extra added and a tiny bit of media from my other tank. The water went cloudy after about a week. I was adding fish food and it has a fair bit of plants in there and I was adding stress zyme.
I went to my lfs to ask what to do next and they said with the already used sand from when it was full before and added media this meant the tank was finished cycling even though the filter and the rest of the media was new.
He recommended adding 4 white cloud minnows. I had to take one back after a day because one struggled to acclimatise so now I have 3.
My water has a very fine haze too it. I have been adding nite out 2 to the water daily as directed and I have also put microbe lift gel filter filter starter on the sponge in the water. I have never seen any nitrites since starting and explained this to the lfs and I still haven't. I'm worried I'm now doing a fish in cycle!! I didn't want that!
I don't want to kill the fish so what can I do for the best? If you need anything more then please just ask. Thank you for reading the long long essay!!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/5/2018 13:24
Re: Newish set up #2
Do you have any test results for ammonia? In a cycled tank you should never see any ammonia or nitrite, but generally speaking, the majority of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter media with only a very small amount in the sand. This is because the bacteria prefer to be in the dark and in flowing water with a higher amount of oxygen. Monitor ammonia and nitrite daily and if you get any result other than 0 for either of them use the advice in this article to protect the fish from ill effects: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ammonia-nitrite-spike.htm
Dondon Dondon
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/5/2018 14:47
Re: Newish set up #3
Thank you for your reply. My ammonia alert says it's 0.02 and I have no nitrites. My nitrates are between 10 and 15. I test daily and also do between 10% and 20% water changes every day. I feed them but not over feed them and they eat what I give them. Thank you it's appreciated