alrhios alrhios
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/5/2018 19:38
Help with green pond! #1
Hi we have a pond that's stepped in three heights. Its about 5000 litres I think in total. There are some goldfish in there, newts etc and several plants, water lillys, irises and some sort of curly reed, but its always murky, so just not nice to look at. Ive been told that the pump that's in there isn't sufficient for the pond. Its a hozelock (easyclear?) think its 3500.
There is also a pretty thick sludge at the bottom.
I want to get this sorted, so think a new pump is on the cards, just not sure what to go for. Because theres plants and fish i guess it gets dirtier quicker, but what do i do about the sludge? anything? Advise on pump please, budget is £150-£200 max really....
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/5/2018 20:51
Re: Help with green pond! #2
Hello. The easyclear 3000* is not just a pump, its a filter, a UV and a pump.

It may just be a case of it needs a new UV Lamp (You are supposed to change the lamp once a year) You are also supposed to leave it running 24/7

* I can find no mention of an easyclear 3500, the nearest is 3000.

The problem with "all in ones" is that most of them are not up to the job and can also be problematic to fix / change anything as they often get jammed up or worse still break when you try to open them.

I would suggest you buy an external filter, UV and suitable pump.

I would also assume that who ever decided on the ec3000 did not read the instructions before buying it, as the 3000 denotes what size pond (with no fish) is is for, so you are on a loser before you start with a unit designed for 3000 litres (2000 with lots of fish) in a 5000 litre pond.

You are also supposed to "spring clean" a pond annually since even the best filter can not remove everything, and KOI pond owners build specific filters into the initial design so there are always clear. so the likes of you and me have to make do with a spring clean and external filter.

I would also suggest you read the following link Click here
alrhios alrhios
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 3/5/2018 21:26
Re: Help with green pond! #3
Thanks for getting back to me, it was the previous owner that had this pump, yes you're right its the 3000.
As you have probably guessed, im newish to ponds, what does a 'spring clean' involve? Lucy :)
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 3/5/2018 21:58
Re: Help with green pond! #4
"Spring clean" goes under many names, but in short you empty the pond and you clean it.
You need something to keep most of the water in (lots of buckets) You also put anything alive in this water, and you also clean out the bottom of the pond. This is the very careful part. I use a plastic dustpan and brush and the dust pan has a rubber (ish) edge so as not to damage the liner and you literally clear out all the "stuff" that is sitting in the bottom of the pond. (its old decaying material, anything that has been blown into the pond etc) Put this on a pile next to the pond incase there is something living inside it then after a couple of days bin the pile.
Wear old soft soled shoes / trainers / bare feet when you do this, and also its a good time to clean your pond filter etc.

Depending on pond you don't have to clean the pond every year, but you must change the UV lamp, and its done in spring before frog mating season and its not too cold.

When its all done, put back the pond water and top up with a hose and add a dechorinator
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 3/5/2018 21:58
Re: Help with green pond! #5
Oh and a picture or two would be nice.
alrhios alrhios
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 4/5/2018 7:34
Re: Help with green pond! #6
Thanks so much for your advice that's really helpful. Does there have to be a small amount of 'sludge' left in the bottom? think I'll leave the barefoot job to my daughter! Ha ha
I took a photo, but it's too large, I'll try again..
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 4/5/2018 10:40
Re: Help with green pond! #7
You should ideally clean out everything. (That's why a dustpan with rubber edge is good)
I also GENTLY scrub the sides of the liner with the brush to remove any algae, i do it with a hose running slowly and yes, every so often you have to pump out the water)

Most forums will not accept big pictures, you need to re size them.

I found several listed HERE
alrhios alrhios
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 4/5/2018 15:48
Re: Help with green pond! #8
Thanks so much, you've ben really helpful. We are going to get a new pump system but wait until the Autumn to clean it out as we have just discovered we have lots of little tadpoles and we don't want to disturb them :)