gruntfuttock gruntfuttock
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/3/2018 9:35
koi pink skin floats upside down plays dead #1
have 12 carp of which this is one of the smaller ones - for the past month or so v lethargic, pink underbelly and distended gut. pond is 3m x 4m approx. 5000 litres. fish is very sick have left it to kill or cure?
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/3/2018 3:15
Re: koi pink skin floats upside down plays dead #2
Hello,

Due to my experience, usually pink/reddish things on koi/goldfish are indicator of poor water quality. Which cause infections or damaged cells.

Have you tested the water quality? Also does your pond has proper filtration system?

Float upside down could mean there is a problem with a bladder too. What is the diet of your fish?
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/3/2018 17:31
Re: koi pink skin floats upside down plays dead #3
Hi Nathan,

Thanks for getting back to me, the ailing fish still has a pinkish belly, around the gills there seems to be some damage. The fish is no bigger than half the fish in the pond, and a lot smaller than the other half. When I netted him to check it hardly moved but had a little flourish when I put it back in the water. Otherwise it seems totally lethargic.

Of the pond, I will get a test kit over the weekend and give it a go. The feed I use is Aqua Pond Sticks - not the most expensive in the shop, but certainly not the cheapest. The box filter and pump has been operating over winter and both have a higher spec than demanded for that size of pond. I have not fed the fish over winter, but that has been my m o for the last ten years or so.

Thanks, Any ideas??

Graham
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/4/2018 6:03
Re: koi pink skin floats upside down plays dead #4
Hello,

It's really hard to tell what is wrong with him without the water quality test for NH3/NO2/NO3.

I have no experience in fish sickness after winter as I've never face winter but there's a possibility that during winter, the beneficial bacteria died that cause a spike. It's just my guess.

Worms or parasite could be a problem too.... if you have a quarantine tank, maybe it's good to quarantine and medicate the fish with some general treatments like API general cure.

Keep in mind that if you want to medicate the whole pond, it will cost a lot and it will kill the beneficial bacteria so treating individual might be better if he's the only one with the problem.

Is this fish is eating okay? If it is then you can soak the food in medicated water (mix the treatment in small volume of water then soak the food in it) to feed the fish. It's also a good way for de-worming them.

I'm just asking about the diet because goldfish do not really tolerate a meaty diet. It's good to feed them "meat" like shrimps and worms but the main idea is as supplementary diet for more vitamin like twice a week.
They'd do best with veggie based food like spirulina or if you can have algae grow for them to graze is best. Veggetation like water lettuce can also be a healthy food source for them.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 2/4/2018 18:23
Re: koi pink skin floats upside down plays dead #5
Thanks again Nathan,

I have been preoccupied with other issues and haven't tested the water - I will get down and do that first. If thats o k - I will go to plan B - I will create an environment and isolate the sick one. I haven't fed them since mid October (that's when the temperature went below 10 degrees C). Another site thought it could be a 'gut' problem and suggested skinned frozen peas, I will try that. Someone suggested a fish vet, but then my budget won't stretched to that.

I appreciate your help in this 'cos it's true it takes away a lot of the power of a problem if you share it!!

Graham