Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/3/2006 11:26
nemo! #1
Resized Image
heres one of my nemos! they are so difficult to get a picture of! only got this one becuase he was playing in the bubbles!?! they are ace! the way they swim is so comical, they just look like they 'ripple' along rather than swim!

ok - cant get picture to display! will stick it in the gallery!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/3/2006 11:31
Re: nemo! #2
He is very cute
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2006 12:00
Re: nemo! #3
he is isnt he/she! really not sure how to tell yet, dont know if they still juveniles. they are about 1 1/2 inches long, the other one is a smidge smaller and not quite as much black on him, will endeavour to get some better pictures later which may be more possible as they should have calmed down a little by now!
they are apparently locally bred ones too, rather than wild caught, which is cool!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/3/2006 15:57
Re: nemo! #4
one thing about homebreed is that they dont have there sugary membrane on its skin so it wont mix with anenomes easily another is that they are much paler but there still one of the best fish. even though finding nemo has ruined there reputation a little bit.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2006 16:32
Re: nemo! #5
thanks burkey! i wasnt going to get an anemone anyway, they dont sound too easy to look after, and i read that they can move around on their own, which is a bit freaky! its just not right!-how do they know where they are going? but thats interesting anyway. does that mean you shouldn't keep homebred clowns with anemones, or if there was one, would the clown fish just avoid it?
Gill

Resized Image

TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/3/2006 16:46
Re: nemo! #6
most people ive talked to who have CLOWNFISH have an anemones in their reef, usually bubble tip or something similar and often the CLOWNFISH love swimming in it as they get the membrane by swimming in it as all anemones have a slightly different poison so thats how they become immune t it

and if u haven't noticed i hate it when people call clownfish frickin nemo's or nemofish, its ok if its a little kid but when adults come in and ask if we have any frickin nemo's i'd love to kick em out until they learn the proper name

(rant over)
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2006 17:19
Re: nemo! #7
well thanks for your comment dragonlord.
i cant say i had noticed what you hate or not, that must make me a 'frickin' childish adult then. i have named my two Amphiprion percula nemo and marlon. i have read up on CLOWNFISH and i understand they build up their immunity to a species of anemone/coral by passing through it before they can live with it.
i was responding to burkeys comment about homebred CLOWNFISH not having the sugary membrane.
i love my nemo's - i hate when people dont have a sense of humour.

Gill

Resized Image

TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/3/2006 17:26
Re: nemo! #8
the bit about the anemone was just to point it out to everyone in general, and u try to work when people say nemo every 5 minutes
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 1/3/2006 17:39
Re: nemo! #9
well maybe you should be a little more tactful in the way you word things, that was bordering on being offensive, to me. so what if someone wants to refer to them as nemo's. is it really that big a deal? not everyone can be as knowlegeable as you obviously. everyone starts learning somewhere. i have my fair share of unknowledgable fish-keepers to deal with on a saturday, and sometimes it grates a bit, but there are ways to deal with people, and i hope you dont jump down peoples throats like that when you are working!
Gill

Resized Image

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/3/2006 17:48
Re: nemo! #10
Not a good idea to air your dislike of clownfish being called nemo on here Chris remember a little tac goes a long way sorry about that Gillian