Florence Florence
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Australia
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/11/2017 4:49
Rescue SOS GoldFish is bent like a C #1
Hi All, I am a new member - I apologise if I have not used the correct protocol - have never done this before. I am distraught trying to rescue my grand-daughters goldfish that is bent over at the bottom of her fish tank. She said the fish was staying on the bottom of the tank and still feeding up to Sunday but Sunday night she found it arched over with its head and tail both down. She panicked and cleaned out the tank completely and replaced up to 50% of the water because it was milky in appearance but there has been no change. Can anything be done to help this poor fish survive?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/11/2017 9:29
Re: Rescue SOS GoldFish is bent like a C #2
Hi

Can you give us some more details please:

What size is the tank?
WHat filtration does it have?
How long has it been set up?
Post actual test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH
Is your water hard or soft?

I'm afraid usually if they bend like this there's little hope of recovery, but if you can supply the requested information we may be able to help.
Florence Florence
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Australia
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/12/2017 5:04
Re: Rescue SOS GoldFish is bent like a C #3
Hi Fishlady, Thank you so much for your reply and offer of help, I do apologise for my delayed response. Sadly you were right ? before I could gather the information from my grandaughter the little fishy passed away. For the sake of others who might use this information ? the tank was 66 litres and housed only one goldfish of approx 10cm long, it was 2 years old. The tank had been set up recently for approx 6months (the family moved house) - with a bio sponge filter and aerator matched to the volume of the tank ? the next size up probably would have been better. My granddaughter knew nothing about cycling the tank, chemical readings or the importance of them and was just told to change the water frequently which she did ? but perhaps got a bit lax towards the end. As I mentioned she did a major clean out when the water turned milky so there was no way to tell the prior condition of the water. A water test following showed; ammonia 0, PH 6.2 and nitrate off the scale. A little too much, too late.  What I did find out was; the fish had not been the same since they moved house and that she used 3 different sources of water all different from what the fish had lived in for 18 months of its life and of varied PH over the past 6 months ? I expect this was the disaster just waiting to happen.