Mattyk21 Mattyk21
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2017/11/8 13:06
Dwarf gourami with bent spine #1
Hello everyone I have 4 dwarf gourami?s aswell other small fish. I noticed yesterday one of them has a bent spine he?s eating and swimming but looks odd I?m praying it?s not tb. The water parameter is fine and the fish was brought from a local aquatic centre near me I?ve included a pic.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 2017/11/8 13:21
Re: Dwarf gourami with bent spine #2
Hi,

So we can help, can you provide the following details:

What size is your tank?
How long has it been set up?
What fish are in there (which species' and how many of each)?
Actual test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and hardness.
Mattyk21 Mattyk21
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2017/11/8 13:37
Re: Dwarf gourami with bent spine #3
The tank is 180l is been running for about 5 months there are four dwarf gourami?s some platys Mollies and guppys with a few corys in total about 17 fish. Ammonia and nitrite is 0 nitrate is 20 ppm tap is currently 5.0ppm working on that and ph 7.4 and water is fairly hard.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 2017/11/8 15:03
Re: Dwarf gourami with bent spine #4
That all sounds fine apart from the possibility that the water is a bit too hard for the gouramis and cories, but that wouldn't cause this problem.

Fish TB (mycobacteriosis) is quite rare and would affect other fish too so I doubt it's that.

The most likely cause of the problem is an iridovirus called Dwarf Gourami Disease. Most DG's sold in the UK come from massive breeding farms in the Far East and the bulk of them are infected with this disease. You may see other symptoms such as wasting, bloat and sores as it progresses. There is no cure so it may be kinder to put him to sleep