LWBLA LWBLA
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2017/11/6 22:06
Where to buy Kanamycin in the UK #1
Hi, can anyone advise if it?s possible to buy Kanamycin in the UK please? I have read that it may help with dropsy. I have 2 fish, one shubunkin and one goldfish, showing symptoms of dropsy. We have removed them from the pond and they are now on their own in a container with Epsom salts and Kanaplex. They have been in this environment for about 2 weeks, with regular water changes, aeration and water temp of 24 degrees C. I?ve read that, as the cause of dropsy is pretty much impossible to identify, it?s worth trying Kanaplex and, if there?s no sign of improvement, moving on to Kanamycin. However, I can?t find anywhere in the UK that sells the latter. Both fish seem quite alert and we would like to see if we can cure them. I have called a couple of vets but they don?t have Kanamycin.

If you know it?s not possible to get Kanamycin in the UK, has anyone had any success with any other treatments for dropsy?

Thank you.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 2017/11/6 23:12
Re: Where to buy Kanamycin in the UK #2
Kanamycin is an antibiotic and so can't be legally sold in the UK without a vet's prescription. Most vets will want to see the fish before prescribing antibiotics, but there may be a problem in that kanamycin isn't listed in the UK as a fish treatment. There are other antibiotics which are prescribed for fish which a vet should be able to supply.

I've successfully treated a Honey gourami for dropsy with eSha 2000.

EDIT: Just checked and Kanaplex contains kanamycin as it's main active ingredient. Presumably at a low dose as technically no antibiotics should be available here unless on a prescription from a vet.
LWBLA LWBLA
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2017/11/7 8:05
Re: Where to buy Kanamycin in the UK #3
Thanks for your reply.