Jono_3 Jono_3
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 17:46
Filter query and other advice #1
Hi All

This is my first post having signed up about 20 minutes ago. Be gentle...:)

Ok, so we moved into a house last year with a pond and fish in it. The pond hadn't been looked after too well and had a lot of debris and sludge floating about and settling on the lillies. We had someone come in and completely clean it out. Whilst he was there I asked him to show me how certain things work such as the pump and the filter and asked him some questions about the pond in general such as plants etc.

Now then, for the most of the year I have had clear water. However, it has now become a bit pea soupish. I have put a picture of how the pond was in mid-June. The other lilly plant was there and the water is looking clear. I've also attached one of it now and as you can see it's pretty green.

I have taken out and cleaned the pump on several occasions to get rid of all the sludge build up so it runs efficiently. There's clearly going to be fish poo and vegetation like leaves and cut grass amongst other things sitting about at the bottom of the pond even though I go over it with a net almost daily.

I have attached a few pictures. Before we got the people over the lillies were considerably and the footing of them covered the bottom of the pond, with the footing of them being around 1.5ft deep. That's a lot of depth lost! it took two wheelie bins full to get rid of them - some were salvaged and trimmed back to make what is there now.

I think that I will need another lilly plant as I have recently taken one out because it started floating and lost a lot of leaves. It was just basically a massively thick rhizome and would not stay at the bottom. I don't quite know why it did that but we took the decision to just get another lilly plant.

I have tested the water and it is all good. I have not done any water changes since the pond was done at the end of September last year. My thought is to do a 50% water change and to wash down the filters (they are like black sponge filters, two or three layers, look pretty standard). However, despite being shown I am having a heck of a time opening the filter. I have tried twisting the handle and undoing the clip but it just seems stuck. Anyone got an idiots guide on how to open this?

Secondly I want to do a water change because I cleaned out the pump about 4 weeks ago and there was a bit of a sulphur smell from the green sludge sitting in the pump. Do you think the water change and filter clean will help?

I also plan on using some algorem to group it all together and net it out. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your time

Jon

(p.s. as I can't preview the pictures I hope they don't come up too big)
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 18:22
Re: Filter query and other advice #2
Hi. you cant preview the pictures because there are no pictures to see.

This forum, like most forums has a limit on the size of pictures it will accept. You need to re size your pictures then post again.

I have no idea how good or bad it is, but I found This as the first picture resizer up on google
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
Jono_3 Jono_3
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 21:34
Re: Filter query and other advice #3
Ugh, hadn't noticed it did that. I resized them to under 2MB but tried to do four at once. I'll do them one by one

Attach file:

png  (1,697.22 KB)
20744_59a48c6a5e720.png 680X1210 px
Jono_3 Jono_3
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 21:36
Re: Filter query and other advice #4
This was taken today

Attach file:

jpg  (1,091.15 KB)
20744_59a48cec5526d.jpg 1300X2312 px
Jono_3 Jono_3
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 21:38
Re: Filter query and other advice #5
This is the filter I have

Attach file:

jpg  (1,802.81 KB)
20744_59a48d62160f7.jpg 1625X2890 px
Jono_3 Jono_3
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 21:40
Re: Filter query and other advice #6
this is it from the top.

Attach file:

jpg  (1,623.27 KB)
20744_59a48dc1bc675.jpg 2890X1625 px
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 21:59
Re: Filter query and other advice #7
Your picture of the filter is too blurred to make out any information on the label.

I would guess (and it is only a guess) that you switch the electricity off and release the large silver catch.

Your green water is probably because you have not changed the UV lamp. (A guess its the thing with the wire connected to it on the lid)
UV lamps last about 6 months, most change them at the beginning of the pond season. You should also clean the quartz tube it sits in (Be careful though)

Jono_3 Jono_3
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 23:21
Re: Filter query and other advice #8
The make/model is a Jebao Pisces. That's what I thought you did but the edges were pulling and the middle stayed in. I didn't know if either I was missing a trick or I just need to try harder.

You're right I haven't changed the UV lamp. It was replaced late september and due to it never being plugged in before, I wired it up and put it on in october time. I have taken it out and checked it and it still lights up so I have left it. Last time I checked it was about 4 weeks ago and the pond was pretty green then.

Anything in particular I should use to clean the tube? If it's a small electric bit I have some isopropanol I could use
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 29/8/2017 4:33
Re: Filter query and other advice #9
It will still light up, but it is not effective as it was, that is why it should be changed.

Its the outside of the sleeve it sits in that should be cleaned.

Have a look HERE for the instructions for your filter.

Jono_3 Jono_3
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 30/8/2017 22:09
Re: Filter query and other advice #10
Thanks a lot. I can pop to the pond shop and get a replacement bulb.

I haven't found the instructions on the website for my filter, I think it's an obsolete model. I will ask when I go in the pond shop and see what they say.

So how about a partial water change? think there could be some benefit in that?