MrsJobba1 MrsJobba1
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 12:43
Help and advice needed especially with green stringy algae #1
Hi
My husband @ I inherited a pond & some koi when we moved into our house. Our pond is , 3 metres length, 1.5 metres, width. The depth is 2 foot (60cm )There are 3 large koi (around 7cm in length) 5 small goldfish & 3 small koi ( 3cm in length).
The pond was very over grown ( all the plants around the edge ) and water very murky. Over the last couple of months
We have replaced the hozelock Eco power + pond filter & uv bulb.
Also we got a Jebao Submersible Water Pond Pump 4000 with Fountain Attachments. We borrowed a pond vacuum and used it get rid of the sludge at the bottom.

We 've worked hard and am pleased that the pond water is now clear, we can see the fish at the bottom, however we are getting green stringy algae growing around the sides. We are having to pull it out every three days as it clogs the fountain, gets sucked in.

What can we do to eliminate this. We really appreciate any help or advice as we want to maintain this well. Also what is the best food, and also do we need to do anything to prepare for winter?
Thanks
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 12:50
Re: Help and advice needed especially with green stringy algae #2
Do some more research if you don't believe me, but sadly there is nothing you can do about the "string algae" you have. (other than pull it out with a stick as you would candy floss) It comes and goes, and to date no one has found a known fix.

As you have koi I would suggest you join the BKKS This time of year they usually visit members koi ponds. Its free. They will also tell you (and its true) that your pond is too small.

BKKS is the British Koi Keepers Society.

I wish you luck
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
MrsJobba1 MrsJobba1
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 12:56
Re: Help and advice needed especially with green stringy algae #3
Thanks

Is the algae seasonal,? I.e. During the summer when in theory warmer & sunnier you will get more than winter?
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/8/2017 16:27
Re: Help and advice needed especially with green stringy algae #4
No its not seasonal but it does grow faster in summer. Some ponds will never have it at all, others will be fine and then as if by magic they get it, but no one knows exactly why.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.