theboyfrost theboyfrost
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/6/2017 12:25
New house, new pond #1
Hi,

We have moved into a new house and find ourselves owning a pond in a south facing garden. When we moved in it was basically like a wildlife pond of some kind....plants were so thick you could almost walk across it with dry feet ! I have pulled out most of the plants and root systems (3 garden waste bins full). We have now put a few fish into it, but the water is very dirty and 'silted'. I figure we need some kind of pond filter in there. Can you help me out and give me some tips on what to do ? The pond is around 12 feet by 8 feet and around 2-3 feet deep. There is one cable currently running under the blocks then out over the rim of the pond and down to a fountain (the thing in the middle). Most of the filters I see seem to be enabling waterfalls and fountains, obviously we already have a fountain and a waterfall is not really possible.

By the way another question we have is around how it is made.....it seems to basically be cast out of two inch thick concrete ! Is that normal ?

N
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/6/2017 18:16
Re: New house, new pond #2
Concrete pools are not very common in domestic situations because of the costs in construction. (Not to mention the drying times)

To be honest, as you seem to want to look after the pond, I would be inclined to empty it out clean out all the sludge etc and re fill it (add dechlorinator)
A filter will only collect stuff sent to it, so any sludge in the pond will just stay there.

With most filters, a pump sits in the pool, sends the water to a "box" and the water has to return to the pool so the easiest way is a waterfall, although some folk extend the filter box outlet, so it hangs over the pool and leave it like that. You can of course decorate said pipe any way you choose.

Just don't buy an all in one filter pump / uv. waste of money and have a high failure rate.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
theboyfrost theboyfrost
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 9/6/2017 18:28
Re: New house, new pond #3
Did my pictures attach properly ? If they did, how would you go about having separate pumps and filters ? The pond is kind of 'exposed' is you see what I mean ? There is no real place to put external boxes without having pipes all over the place ? I was thinking an all in one thing might just be the easiest thing to do (i.e. just one electric cable and just throw the box in) ? I'll attach a picture again and see if it uploads this time.

Attach file:

jpg  (1,002.03 KB)
20512_593ae8acb883f.jpg 1774X1330 px
theboyfrost theboyfrost
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 9/6/2017 18:29
Re: New house, new pond #4
The picture seems to be there now, see what I mean ?
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/6/2017 23:06
Re: New house, new pond #5
I am guessing, but that looks like it was NOT designed to have fish, but to be just a decorative focal point / wildlife pond

I am saying this because the water level is almost level with the surrounding surface, there is no "wall" (For want of a better word) to stop fish getting out if it over fills in the rain.

I still suggest you totally empty and clean it out to find out exactly what you have got, but as for external filtration, you would need to make some major alterations. (You would have though that who ever designed and built it after going to that much effort and trouble would have allowed for filtration if it was meant to have fish)

"All in one" filters appeal because they are "simple to install and do everything.........." So they claim.

In my experience I have found:

They must be on 24 / 7 for the biological side to work. (Which means you can't turn the fountain off)

They are often too small for a pond.

They are not "fit and forget" as you need to be able to get them out to clean the filters. (Can be as often as 4 times a week)

When one part fails you have to buy a whole new one. (They don't sell spare parts for the parts that fail)

At first they do work, so people give great reviews, its when they get a few months old that the problems really start........too late to change the review.

Sorry its not good news. But it is a nice looking pool.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.