Hilwil Hilwil
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/3/2017 18:52
Fishless cycling a new tropical tank. Help !!! #1
Hi Everyone,
I,m Hilary, and very new to the hobby of keeping a tropical fish aquarium. I would appreciate advice on the stage I have reached to date on fishless cycling my new 20 gallon tropical tank.In brief on 22/3/17 I filled the tank with conditioned tap water, reading. PH 7.8.switched the filter on, Temp set at 29c.I added Aquacare Biofood at the recommended amount, and Jeyes Ammonia ,again at the recommended dose.
24/03/17 added another dose of ammonia as instructed, tested water after 30 mins, Reading was Ammonia 4ppm, Nitrite 4ppm ( with an API Freshwater Master Test Kit)
26/03/17 Added another dose of ammonia as instructed, 30 mins later tested water, Readings Ammonia 2.0ppm, Nitrite 3.0ppm.
28/03/17,Another dose of ammonia added, tested 30 mins later, Readings, Ammonia 2.0ppm, Nitrite 2.00ppm.
30/03/17 Another dose of Ammonia added, tested water 30 mins later, Readings, Ammonia 1.5ppm Nitrite 3.00ppm. Also tested PH at this point, Reading 8. Tested Nitrate to ease my curiosity and that reading was 35ppm.
Today 31/03/17 Just tested water, not added ammonia, Readings :-Ammonia 0.5, Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate ,between 40-80 ppm.
What to do next basically is my question, do I keep adding Ammonia every other day and testing, do I need to do a water change ,I'm so not sure where I'm at, Please Help !!!
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 4/4/2017 16:13
Re: Fishless cycling a new tropical tank. Help !!! #2
I would recommend testing every day, and if necessary add enough ammonia to bring the level to 3-4ppm (our fishless cycling article includes a calculator to tell you how much you need to add). Your tank will be fully cycled when the ammonia is completely processed (i.e. zero ammonia and zero nitrite) within 12 hours. Be patient, it can take several weeks.
Hilwil Hilwil
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 5/4/2017 8:51
Re: Fishless cycling a new tropical tank. Help !!! #3
Thanks James,
Wont I be overloading with Ammonia if I add 2.5mls daily, till ammonia and nitrites test zero ?
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 5/4/2017 17:02
Re: Fishless cycling a new tropical tank. Help !!! #4
You don't necessarily need to add ammonia every day, and not necessarily the full amount. Test for ammonia first, if it's already at 3-4ppm don't add any more. If the ammonia level is down, just add enough to bring it back to 3-4ppm (the calculator at the bottom of the page I linked to previously will help you work out how much you need to add).