ALLYMACD ALLYMACD
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/7/2016 18:34
Water change after fishless cycle #1
Hi folks!
Currently setting up another tank. I've been doing a fishless cycle with household Ammonia. I can't remember exactly when I started tbh, reckon it's been roughly 6-7 weeks and I now have the Nitrite converted to Nitrate within 12 hours so reckon the nitrogen cycle is just about complete. I haven't done any partial water changes during the cycle and my latest Nitrate reading is very high.(between 80ppm-160ppm I reckon) I always struggle matching the Nitrate colour chart on the API master test kit tbh. I'm assuming the high Nitrate reading is the result of me doing no water changes but I'd read water changes weren't necessary during a fishless cycle. Anyway my question is 'how much water do you reckon I should change to bring the Nitrate down to a safe enough level for adding fish'? I've read conflicting answers about this online.
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 4/7/2016 18:57
Re: Water change after fishless cycle #2
The short answer is most of it. At that level I'd guess at least 80%, then see what the level is. And you're right, the high nitrate level is the result of not doing water changes, which are (usually) unneccessary during a fishless cycle. For the cycle to be complete the ammonia should be fully processed to nitrate within 12 hours.
ALLYMACD ALLYMACD
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 4/7/2016 19:08
Re: Water change after fishless cycle #3
Quote:

james15 wrote:
The short answer is most of it. At that level I'd guess at least 80%, then see what the level is. And you're right, the high nitrate level is the result of not doing water changes, which are (usually) unneccessary during a fishless cycle. For the cycle to be complete the ammonia should be fully processed to nitrate within 12 hours.

Aye, Ammonia & Nitrite are back to 0 within 12 hours so I think I'm about good to go. I did think myself that the water change would need to be a big one but thought it best to check on this. Thanks for your help James!