SueM SueM
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Dorset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/6/2016 17:20
Pond Filter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have a decking pond that has 2,500 litres with a Blagdon hybrid force pump 10,000 and what was a Blagdon Cyclone 20,000. It is leaking and needs replacing. I did have a waterfall but now removed so just a small pond. The pressure filter is in a raised bed of sleepers.

I have about 5 koi, couple of old orfes and some water lilies.

I need to replace the filter, do I go for a gravity filter such as hozelock revolution 14,000 or another pressure filter?

I have not been that impressed with quality of the water with the pressure filter and keep getting green water. It is south facing garden but I can't change that!

Any suggestions would be so welcome.

Thank you so much
Sue
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 29/6/2016 5:02
Re: Pond Filter #2
It depends on how your filter is installed.
The idea of a pressure filter is so you can mount it below the pond water level (or outlet level) with out any water loss. If you directly change to a "normal" filter if its below pond level you will soon empty your pond, but it depends on the relationship between your pond and pond filter location as to what you can have unless you can re position the replacement filter.

Green water implies the UV is not working, or its too small in the first place or it needs cleaning and a new tube.

So I would have to ask when did you last clean the UV (Not clean the filter) and when did you change the tube?
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
SueM SueM
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Dorset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/6/2016 11:54
Re: Pond Filter #3
Hi,
Thanks for your kind reply, I thought in the short term I would have time to see if I could change to a filter box as I can sort out the box level in relation to the pond.

I have new bulb every year and clean casing as well with vinegar.

However got up this am and can see the filter dripping as I have it out on decking while I try to sort it out.

So I have bitten the bullet and purchased another pressure filter but gone for a hozelock bioforce revolution 14000 (please no one send me nightmare stories as bought it now). I need to get it installed ASAP as will be away for a couple of days and will just stress about it as pond is loosing water.

I just need to hope this stops the water level dropping (it is not a leak in pond as have checked that).

Thanks Sue

Sue