ALLYMACD ALLYMACD
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/5/2016 21:03
Seachem Prime & Fishless Cycling #1
Hi all!

Currently setting up a new tank but it's been a while since I've done a fishless cycle. I normally use Seachem Prime as my tap water conditioner but after reading the instructions I'd forgot that it also removes Ammonia. Is it best to avoid using Prime before starting the fishless cycle with household Ammonia? I have a bottle of API Stress Coat water conditioner that I could use. That only removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/5/2016 11:55
Re: Seachem Prime & Fishless Cycling #2
No, it's fine to use Prime. It doesn't remove ammonia, it just converts it to the form less toxic to fish (NH4+). NH4+ remains available to filter bacteria and is just as useful to them as the more toxic NH3 so the cycle will proceed in exactly the same manner. Additionally, as the API ammonia test works by using the first reagent to force all ammonia to become NH3 and the second then measures it, your test results during cycling will be absolutely as normal too.
ALLYMACD ALLYMACD
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/5/2016 16:23
Re: Seachem Prime & Fishless Cycling #3
Thanks Fishlady. Helpful as always. I'd rather use Prime as a smaller dose is required so it lasts a lot longer than other conditioners.