Peterhill26 Peterhill26
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From West Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/5/2016 17:46
Feeding Discus #1
Question for you Tropical fish Keepers I bought Muscle Mix and Beef heart Mix from breeders on here which have told me that i should only feed my Discus Tank with either one 3 times a day and i should only feed them with it and nothing else but what they don't say is that you should do a Water Change every other day because the Muscle Mix Specially has it got very Protein which causes your NITRATE to go very HIGH. So for the normal one tank persons which don't breed Discus what would you say the answer to my Question is. I change mine 40% Twice a Week
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 23/5/2016 21:06
Re: Feeding Discus #2
Hi Peter

Actually, Do not feed your fish beef heart or any warm-blood meat.

Fish digest system are to designed to process such food. They still process it but it will damage the fish organ over time.

I have read that they have done a research on wild discus. They have only found zooplankton, worms, vegetable matters, shrimps and krills in their digest system. They don't even feed on other fish.

Of you want your fish to have lots of nutrient, feed them a variety of food mentioned above or use a good staple food for discus.

Since you're keep discus, can I ask your water pH and hardness? Im planning on keepign discus too but I don't know how pH and hardness will affects the fish.
Peterhill26 Peterhill26
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From West Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 24/5/2016 6:28
Re: Feeding Discus #3
My PH is 6.6 to 6.8 at it highest which is about right for my Discus and i have had 4 batches of eggs but unfortunately they eat them but now i have a small other tank which i am going to put the pair in.