mflytt mflytt
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Spain
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/2/2016 18:14
PANGAS and fish growth #1
OK I had a terrible start to creating a pond, to small to many fish and the wrong fish. Now I have a bigger 1,000 lt semi tropical pond with good filtration 3,100lt per hour small waterfall and fountain water quality is good. OK my question firstly is the fish that I had in the small pond for about 6 months will they grow now they are in the bigger pond or are they going to be stunted for life, they seem happy and eat well and swim all over the place?

The other question is will the guppys stop breading once they get to a certain level of fish they are breading so fast, I take the babies out into a tank n the apartment then when they are big enough they go in the outdoor pond?

Next PANGAS, I had no idea that they were a problem when I saw them at the pet shop along with the other semi tropical fish m water is about 20-24ish. What can I do with them I think they will get so big they will eat all the other fish. There is a local natural water tank that supplies the golf course with water, its not treated with anything so I am toying with the idea of putting them in there a friend has koi ponds (bigger than my pond but he lives in the mountain where it is cooler) I just am at my watts end with them and quite angry they are for sale and angry that I was so stupid to assume fish only grow to the size of the tank. I now know this is a common (cruel)myth please help. Mark Tenerife
Mark Tenerife
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/2/2016 20:21
Re: PANGAS and fish growth #2
Have I got this right
Quote:

mflytt wrote: Next PANGAS.............What can I do with them I think they will get so big they will eat all the other fish. There is a local natural water tank that supplies the golf course with water, its not treated with anything so I am toying with the idea of putting them in there

You want to take your problem and give it to some one else?

Quote:

mflytt wrote:
will they grow now they are in the bigger pond or are they going to be stunted for life

Quote:

mflytt wrote:The other question is will the guppys stop breading once they get to a certain level of fish

Didn't you just say

Quote:

mflytt wrote:I was so stupid to assume fish only grow to the size of the tank. I now know this is a common (cruel)myth
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
mflytt mflytt
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Spain
  • Posted on: 1/3/2016 6:22
Re: PANGAS and fish growth #3
Well helpful replies would have been good, condicnding comments I can do without. I would like to say what I thought of you and you comments but I would be barred from the site.

If this is an example of HELP &ADVICE forum maybe you shouldn't be on it.

Thanks for the comments I will treasure them.
Mark Tenerife
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/3/2016 10:12
Re: PANGAS and fish growth #4
Whilst I appreciate the tone of 2010's response may have upset you, he is right that you can't just dump the pangasius in someone else's water. All that does is shift the problem to someone else and probably cause the fish to starve to death as they wouldn't be being fed. Your only options are to continue to care for them yourself or to look seriously for a proper new home for them - do you have any public aquariums that might take them?

The guppies will continue to breed and if allowed to breed in a restricted gene pool (i.e. mothers and sons, fathers and daughters, brothers and sisters) will become genetically weak and deformed over time. Although as the pangasius continue growing I'm afraid the guppies will become food for them eventually.
mflytt mflytt
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Spain
  • Posted on: 1/3/2016 20:01
Re: PANGAS and fish growth #5
Hi Fishlady thank you and I appreciate your comments. You may remember you advised me n the 3 Koi I had. I re-homed them at a friends in the mountain he has very large ponds in his grounds. The Koi have already grown to about a foot long and have had babies. So your constructive comments were followed and a happy outcome.

I have been thinking what I can do with the pan gas the shop said they would probably take them back but then someone will buy hem and put them in a small tank.

The tank at the golf course is about 100 meters square and maybe 15-20 deep and here we get lots of mosquitoes that bread the tank so I thought they would maybe eat them. But I don't know, as far as I know there are no small fish in there. It wouldn't be palming the problem off to smeone else, I thought they may be happy in there with no interference with natural wild life. I was even going to check the temperature to make sure they would survive OK. I would guess the water would be around 23ish. But if you think they would starve I can't put them in there. My friend has about 6 or more ponds and most very large but I don't think he would want them if he realises as I do what a nightmare they can cause.

That leaves the guppys, I can seperate the females from the males and keep them in a smaller pond that I already have I have all the eqiuipment to set it upfor tthem, would that be OK do you think?

I still don't know what age fish stop growing I know the new pond is big enough now I was just wondering if they will get bigger n the bigger pond.

Your advice is valued and I did follow everything you suggested on my earlier post and the outcome was a happy one. Except for the pangas problem.

Regards Mark
Mark Tenerife
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/3/2016 22:57
Re: PANGAS and fish growth #6
Fish never truly stop growing, but once they reach adult size any further growth is very slow and they won't exceed max size for their species before they die of old age. Female guppies max out at around 6 cms long excluding tails, males smaller than that.

The pangasius will obviously continue growing too and a move to better/larger conditions can trigger a growth spurt. My common plec grew from 4 inches when I took her on to 9 inches in a year or so just from better care, then moved to a bigger tank and put on another 2 inches the next year. After that I upgraded her again to a 6ft tank and in the following 2 years she's grown rapidly again to about 15 inches, but thankfully is now adult size.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/3/2016 9:14
Re: PANGAS and fish growth #7
Quote:

Fishlady wrote:
Fish never truly stop growing, but once they reach adult size any further growth is very slow and they won't exceed max size for their species before they die of old age.

Or to put it another way.

A baby is born and grows until adulthood. Its a common mistake particularly with fish that they grow to the size of the tank. How does a fish know how big the tank is, and if it were true, put a fish in a suitable lake and it should grow massive. (to fit the size of the "tank") If a fish is well looked after and fed it will only grow to its natural adult size, but if its not well looked after and not fed properly then it will only grow as best it can, but not to normal adult size, so giving the impression it only grows to the size of the tank.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
mflytt mflytt
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Spain
  • Posted on: 5/3/2016 10:07
Re: PANGAS and fish growth #8
Thank you Fishlady. The 2 female Guppy,s are full size then. I am seperating the females to a 125 Lt plant pond and I am usine the old filter system for that now. I knew they would breed but I didn't realise how fast so seperating them is best. Would you agree? I don't like the idea of the fish breeding just to be eaten by the other fish.

So my fish will carry on growing. I am haapy about that because after reading the artical you sent me on fish growth and being stunted made me see I had to do something. The new pnd has cost quite a but to build but now it is the maximum side I can fit in that part of the garden 1000 Lt is fine for the amount of fish I have and once I have the extra reeds and water plants it will be a fantastic environment for all the fish.

I spoke to the shop about the Pangas again yesterday and they will take them back but they will just be sold on and have a sad short life..........you really don't think I should put them in the Golf Course fresh water tank with the mosques larva for food?

I will do whatever you think is best but I have to get them out of my pond or they will eat the Guppy's as they get bigger at the moment they just swim around together (there are 2) and keep themselves to themselves, they seem quite timid in comparison to the other fish who come u to me at feeding time.

That's all I need to know now is what to do with the pangas I am not irresponsible and would never put them into a natural environment to upset the normal balance of nature. Please just advise me, take them back to the shop or the very big irrigation tank?

Thanks for the info on the growth. Its good to know they are not stunted or life.

Kind regards Mark
Mark Tenerife