EmmaG EmmaG
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/2/2016 22:52
Is my tank cycled..... #1
Evening everyone.

I'm having a mental block and reading conflicting advice - I'm nearing the end of a fish less cycle but it's been years since I did this and I can't recall:

24hrs after dosing 3ppm ammonia I'm reading Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0. 12 hours after dosing Ammonia 0 Nitrite 2ppm.

I've had the nitrite spike and drop and showing plenty of nitrates - does the filter need to be processing the Nitrites to 0 within 12 hours or 24 for the cycle to be completed? I've had these readings for a week now.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks
james15 james15
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 6/2/2016 11:48
Re: Is my tank cycled..... #2
Ammonia and nitrite both need to be zero after 12 hours.
Tonto Tonto
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 6/2/2016 14:48
Re: Is my tank cycled..... #3
Interesting question Emma. I think I am about to make it more interesting but with the utmost respect to everyone ....... This is where I disagree with the advice given regarding the 12 hour rule for both. I was where you are for 3 weeks and the closest I got to 12 hours for both ammonia and nitrites was 18 hours. In the end I gave up and used the advice in the link below. It just seemed to make more sense to me. I put 18 juvenile fish in with no problems at all. My bacteria were more than capable with ammonia going to zero in 8 hours and nitrites within 10 hours after that. I could probably have put more than the 25% of stock I put in. On reflection i personally think it is a very big ask to get both ammonia and nitrite to zero in 12 hours. Hope I am ok to post the link below. It certainly helped me to decide on the that final question you have asked. No disrespect intended to anyone.
Regards Tonto
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/ ... hless-cycling-148283.html
EmmaG EmmaG
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 6/2/2016 15:21
Re: Is my tank cycled..... #4
Thank you both for your replies. Out of interest I have just tested nitrite 8 hours after dosing and it's 2ppm.

I can't see that the small number of fish I was intending to add to the tank initially would equate to a bioload of anywhere near that in a 24 hour, let alone 12 hour, period.

I'm going to test again at 12 hours and see what I have then.

I am tempted to dose 2ppm ammonia tomorrow and test at 12 hours to see where I am then.
Tonto Tonto
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 6/2/2016 16:46
Re: Is my tank cycled..... #5
Thanks Emma

I followed the advice in the link. I added 25% in juvenile fish knowing that they would eventually grow to about 50 - 60% of my stocking level. You have to put enough fish in to maintain the bacteria you have grown but not too many to overload them and cause a spike. Which is why I picked juveniles; Everything should grow together.
EmmaG EmmaG
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 6/2/2016 18:33
Re: Is my tank cycled..... #6
The link was informative, thank you. I was intending to get just a few young platies for the tank - it's a 210l and will be heavily planted in the end. I can't see that half a dozen young platies will overload the filter even as it stands at the moment but I want to be sure. The tank seems pretty stable and I've had hardly any melting of plants.
EmmaG EmmaG
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 6/2/2016 22:04
Re: Is my tank cycled..... #7
Well at 12hrs nitrite is now at 1ppm so things are moving again. I'm not able to get fish until next weekend anyway so I imagine this discussion will be moot, but it's certainly interesting either way
EmmaG EmmaG
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 10/2/2016 22:42
Re: Is my tank cycled..... #8
0.5ppm at 12 hours tonight, come on bacteria!