LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/8/2015 18:34
396l South American Cichlid Tank #1
Evening all!

After a break from fishkeeping (disaster with fancies tank...) have got the 396l up and running again. However this time am doing a South American tank. Main occupants will be a group of Gymnogeophagus australis or Rainbow Eartheaters. Good community fish as not agressive. Max size 6".

Original Image

Will also be a shoal of cories and a single plec. Both types to be confirmed.

I have gone for a simple approach this time. 1"sand, bogwood and plastic amazonian sword plants. Annubis will be tied to the big wood once the tank has cycled (been cycling for 2 weeks and now at the nitrite stage , perhaps 2 weeks till complete)

Tank so far. I like the slightly stained water feels a lot more natural and have a more subdued lighting.

Original Image

I upgraded to a fluval FX6. Which is a absolute joy to work with !

Will post updates as and when I can. Any advice greatly appreciated !
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/8/2015 8:03
Re: 396l South American Cichlid Tank #2
Quick note: Gymnogeophagus australis is the Uruguay Eartheater not the Rainbow Eartheater. The Rainbow Eartheater is Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus and that appears to be what you have pictured. G. australis doesn't appear much in the hobby and almost all for sale in Europe are mislabelled being actually G. rhabdotus or G. balzani in the main.

These fish need cooler water (22-24) for most of the year, but a cooler winter period of 3 months without heating at 18-20 is essential which limits tankmates to only those that can take the stress of changing temps and deal with lower temps in general. The majority of plecs won't cope with this. Cories best fitted to that are C. paleatus.

Other than that, bear in mind they need pristine water to thrive, and if you're getting juvies, watch out as they mature as if you end up with the wrong male:female ratio you will need a lot more d?cor to make territorial boundaries and prevent aggression between males. Ideally 1 male to 3-4 females is the best mix.
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 10/8/2015 11:00
Re: 396l South American Cichlid Tank #3
Thanks FL

perhaps I misheard at the LFS! The image was the closest I could find on memory. The fish they have are sexable and looking at 1M and 3 or 4F pending what's available.

The FX6 filter should ensure water quality is spot on. Using re-mineralised R/O. I also have some media in the filter that provides an anerobic environment for the de- nitrafying bacteria.

It's an amazing filter and very glad I invested in it! Its practically silent and turns over the tank volume very quickly.

The cooler water will be timed with our winter from say Dec to Feb when its easier to maintain a cooler tank.

The number of plecs that are happy is limited so could be a long time till I find one!

C paleatus would be just perfect and suit the water parameters. Readily available and, well, are just so cute. So thanks for the tip.

I have some more bogwood to add just soaking to get rid of some of the tannins.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/8/2015 11:09
Re: 396l South American Cichlid Tank #4
This is G. australis:

Original Image
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 10/8/2015 11:18
Re: 396l South American Cichlid Tank #5
ah the head is a lot different than then ones at the LFS.

I'm popping back later this week to check on them so will grab a pic or two.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 10/8/2015 11:33
Re: 396l South American Cichlid Tank #6
That's the shape the head is on mature males of all the fish in this genus (known as a nuchal hump). The difference between the species' within the genus is in size and colour/patterning.
jdisle jdisle
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 10/8/2015 16:39
Re: 396l South American Cichlid Tank #7
Hey , fish lady , i have recently got a new tropical fish tank, im a begginer i think one off my grenn barbs have fin rot , i have myxazin fin rot solution do i put it in th tank or the filter its a dark green colour , also my tank is (L) 100cm x (W) 40cm (D) 53

Please help :(
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 12/8/2015 8:44
Re: 396l South American Cichlid Tank #8
Tank update - 4ppm ammonia is now being processed within 12 hours which is pretty impressive. Go Nitrosomonas!

No movement yet on the nitrite front. Come on Nitrospira, get with the program.

Picking up some Anubis today to tie to the bogwood.

FL: question - cichlids are is proving problematic on the basis the fish I want are not readily available and actually are not yet sexable (too small to tell) which could be problematic later on. The ones in the LFS have changed and other LFS don't have a great range either. I don't want to order on-line either,

Our back up plan are silver dollars which my kids love seeing. is my tank going to be too small for a shoal of 5?

(as well as 6-8 corys and a plec)

thanks!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 12/8/2015 9:19
Re: 396l South American Cichlid Tank #9
Hi,

Unfortunately, yes, it's too small. Your fine on volume, but these fish need 108cm length and about 40cm width minimum :(
LukeC LukeC
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 12/8/2015 10:04
Re: 396l South American Cichlid Tank #10
High FL!

The Tank is actually 120cm(L)x60cm(W)x60(h)

(this should equal 432 litres of course however the actual useable water volume is sold as 396 as the water level is lower
http://ndaquatics.co.uk/tropical-tank ... ropical-aquarium-cabinet/ )

would this be ok then?