>MoreFish >MoreFish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/5/2015 16:10
Posting Koi? #1
Hi, I recently purchased a few hundred Koi from Taf Valley Farms. A large portion of the fish were near D.O.A. The fish were sent in an unmarked box and the courier actually shook the box before handing it to me and asked what was making the "sloshing noise". After contacting the seller he just said to chuck some salt in, only reply after that was at midnight when he wanted me to take pictures of the dead fish. Since then he's refused to acknowledge the fact that because he never clearly labelled the box "URGENT - HANDLE WITH CARE - LIVE FISH" ETC then the process the fish went through was much harsh than the treatment they would have received if the box was correctly labelled. Taf Valley Farm have blamed me for the dead fish - bearing in mind that they were belly up on arrival and refuse to accept blame or refund. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this, Parcel Force being used for this service or anything else. Thanks.
>MoreFish >MoreFish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 14/5/2015 16:55
Re: Posting Koi? #2
Parcel Force have just contacted me stating that they do not allow Live Fish deliveries, so that's why Taf Valley Farms never marked the box up accordingly, explains why the fish were in such a state when they arrived too as they'd been treated like normal cargo.... So word of warning - do not buy from Taf Valley Koi Farm!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/5/2015 17:57
Re: Posting Koi? #3
There is only one courier registered with DEFRA for live fish transport at the moment and that is APC Overnight. Your supplier is breaching DEFRA regulations of the transport of living creatures and they will come down on him like a ton of bricks if they find out. I would suggest you ask again for a refund and remind him that he is required to use a DEFRA registered courier for transporting Koi. That may make him more co-operative.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/5/2015 18:57
Re: Posting Koi? #4
APC suspended its service recently although here is an update: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=6744

I have been reading of other cases recently whereby live fish have been sent by other couriers, with the sender trying to slip them 'under the radar' by not declaring honestly the contents - as the courier companies know (or ought to know) that they can't deliver live fish. This may be because of the APC suspension.

No excuse for anyone, though - whether they ordinarily use APC or not, using/reverting to other couriers which are not DEFRA registered is dishonest and cruel.
>MoreFish >MoreFish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 14/5/2015 19:42
Re: Posting Koi? #5
Hi peeps, thanks for the quick reply. This guy has outright blamed me at every step and thinks 30+ years of Koi Farming means that he has no need to use a DEFRA registered Courier... The stress that this guy has caused me along with the distress of opening the box to find the fish like that, I've literally been sick for a week because of this.
I have just emailed him as suggested stating that people on the fish forums have all been saying that he should have used a DEFRA registered courier so I am due a refund for the dead fish - but now after sending that I feel even more sick. Do DEFRA need to know about this? I mean, should I report this to them to stop it happening again?
Again, thanks for your help with this - much appreciated
>MoreFish >MoreFish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 15/5/2015 10:43
Re: Posting Koi? #6
Hi, my Brother asked Forest Koi about this situation, this is what he was told -

"Hi As far as i am aware the only delivery company licenced to carry live fish is aclaim apc. They suspended deliveries 2 weeks ago while sorting licence issue with defra ( goverment body controlling live stock) which is why all reputable dealers have stopped deliveries until this issue resolved. The extra few hours in the bag should have made no difference to the koi but to send live fish with unlicenced courier is poor practice if not illegal. The koi probably would have been in the same poor state who ever delivered them and any issues to do with the condition of the koi on arrival should be the problem of the dealer who sent them. And yes they have to be clearly labelled as live fish!
Good Luck
Rgds New Forest Koi"
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/5/2015 14:50
Re: Posting Koi? #7
Please report them to DEFRA, not just because you deserve a full refund & apology of course but because you can't be the 1st customer that they are sending fish out in this manner to - poor koi.

This needs to be stopped.
>MoreFish >MoreFish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 15/5/2015 21:58
Re: Posting Koi? #8
I will, he's point blank ignoring me now, opened a paypal dispute - doubt that will get me anywhere but at least it's action. Just in case, this is the Farms ebay trading name - koifarmerdirect - make sure you avoid this place and warn others! I'll check DEFRA out over the weekend and keep you posted on the outcome, thanks