riaroxanna riaroxanna
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/3/2015 9:04
Hoping to set up/regenerate an old pond #1
Hello,

I have been on the lookout for a pond to rehome two of my goldfish (2 x 8 year old comet goldfish) for some time. I will obviously wait until warmer weather/no frosts before I do so.

A friend has just inherited a house, which includes a garden with an old existing pond. I have offered to help do up the garden and regenerate the pond, and if considered suitable, she will take my goldfish on.

The pond is overgrown with weeds, reeds and even grass. However there is water in there and some frogspawn is also present. The neighbours have said that they think there might somehow be one or two goldfish in there already (poor things).

So what i need to know is how to proceed, how can I make this pond liveable for fish? It is one of those mid-sized hard plastic shaped ponds. I know it will need a filter etc, but how much should we expect to budget for this? Should I strip it completely and start again? Replacing with more fish friendly plants etc. There will be cats around, so would also need to construct a cat and bird proof device, if that is possible.

I will take measurements/photos when I visit there again this weekend. Any advice appreciated.
Thank you
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/3/2015 18:45
Re: Hoping to set up/regenerate an old pond #2
Seeing is better. Pictures please.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
riaroxanna riaroxanna
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 23/3/2015 21:47
Re: Hoping to set up/regenerate an old pond #3
Finally got some pictures. Some of the vegetation has been cleared now. Size is approx 3m x 2m, and i think its about 0.5m deep.

Theres an old pump in there somewhere, they think the terracotta pot in the middle had a filter in it. Probably not working, but havent been able to investigate that.

What do you think?

Original Image

Original Image

Original Image
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/3/2015 22:00
Re: Hoping to set up/regenerate an old pond #4
As its been neglected for so long, I would say you have little choice.

Completely empty it and start again.

As you have frog spawn, get that out and put it in a bucket with some pond water, then pull everything else out slowly having a look for anything hiding as you go.

Then bail out the pond with a bucket, I wouldn't pump it out as you don't know what is still in there.
When you get near to the bottom use a plastic dustpan and brush and make a pile on the side near the pond, so anything that is in the pile can get back into the pond.

When its empty, clean it with a brush and hose, and ....bail it all out again.

Refill with tap water add a dechlorinator if you have, then put the frog span back.

Yes, you are supposed to let the pond mature, and add a filter strait away but you may not have one and they take time for bacteria to grow, mean while you have a bucket of frogspawn and...........

Take pictures as you go.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
riaroxanna riaroxanna
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 23/3/2015 22:24
Re: Hoping to set up/regenerate an old pond #5
Thanks. Will start from scratch and refill to allow bacteria to grow.

Any tips on what sort of pond filter would be good/appropriate? And plants? Really have no knowledge of ponds. Have some experience of wildlife ponds but as this is to benefit a fish species I'm starting from scratch.

Have people had success with keeping cats and birds away? If so, what did you construct?

I like your encouragment for checking what wildlife could be lurking in there, and allowing it to go back in. As an ecologist I am hoping to find some newts!
meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 13/5/2015 11:04
Re: Hoping to set up/regenerate an old pond #6
Hi, just wondering how you got on with moving the fish; have you done that already?

I have four goldfish in a tank that I rescued off freecycle and am waiting until I can put them into my pond. So just checking if you've already moved yours and how they are doing?

thanks!
riaroxanna riaroxanna
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 27/5/2015 21:46
Re: Hoping to set up/regenerate an old pond #7
Hi meriad

Success! I moved my comet goldfish into an already established pond in the end, couldn't wait any longer. And I am pleased to say that he is doing very well. We moved him about three weeks ago, about 3 weeks after the last frost we had down here (Southampton, Hampshire). He is doing well and swimming around in a gang of boys chasing all the girls.

I still have plans for setting up a pond in my friends garden, but they still haven't got to that point yet.

Best of luck with your move, depending on where you are it shuld be warm enough now.
Thanks
meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 11/6/2015 13:53
Re: Hoping to set up/regenerate an old pond #8
excellent news - well my "Project Fish" started on Monday and all this week I've been taking some water out the aquarium and replacing it with pond water so come Sunday (which is release date - yipppee) they should be used to the water quality.

I'm not that far from you - I'm in Surrey between Woking and Guildford so good to know your fish has successfully been released and been fine with the temperatures. I was worried that it was just that bit too cold still but same as you I just can't wait any longer; the poor fish need to get into that pond.

Thanks again, regards - Ria