meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/2/2015 11:28
Goldfish and Water Soldiers? #1
In October last year I rescued three goldfish from FreeCycle and another from a friend. The tanks they were in was far to small so I bought them a new one (admittedly still too small but I just haven't got space) as a temporary home until they are released into the garden pond this spring. Two of the fish are 'regular' goldfish and two are comets that have lovely long flowing tails.

However, in said pond I have water soldiers (Stratiotes ) which have quite a sharp edge - will the comets be OK with those plants or should I rather take them out? The shubunkins (one of which has a lovely tail as well) and brown goldfish in the pond at the moment all seem fine with the plants but I'm worried about the fan tails of the comets?

What do you think?

Also, I am hoping to be able to release the fish by end April (ideally over the Easter weekend when I'm home but it all depends on the weather of course). I was told to wait until we've had at least 10 consecutive nights of ten degrees celsius; is that right?

any advice is appreciated and welcome; thank you
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 24/2/2015 20:37
Re: Goldfish and Water Soldiers? #2
I think it might be better to remove them. Ripped fins heal and the fish are likely to learn to avoid the sharp edges, over time. The real issue will be during spawning, goldfish can get pretty rough and the females tend to head for plants when the males are in pursuit. The female could become injured if the male knocks her into the sharp edge.
meriad meriad
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 27/2/2015 15:58
Re: Goldfish and Water Soldiers? #3
Hi there, thanks for the reply. That makes perfect sense and isn't something I'd thought about. I'll definitely remove whatever water soldiers there are.

Thanks!