nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/2/2015 2:39
Thinking aboout trying Crayfish #1
Hi!
I finally decided that Im gonna give crayfish a go. I've never had any experience with these before so I really could use some advice.

The 2 most common crayfish I've seen in my local area are White (Procambus.Clarkii) and Black crayfish.

I've done some readings on the white one but I can't tell for sure which specie is the black one. Any help would be appreciated.

Also any suggestion on set up, which to keep (Prefer the smaller one with smaller tank, I don't have much space left) would be great. Keeping only 1 crayfish in 1 tank is ok with me too

Im thinking about Procambarus. crayfish because they seem to accept a wider range of water parameters.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 25/2/2015 12:44
Re: Thinking aboout trying Crayfish #2
Opps, I just realized that crayfish is illegal to keep in UK so maybe Im at the wrong place to ask :P

Can anyone tell me why keeping them as a pet is illegal? Just curious :P Thanks
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 25/2/2015 20:23
Re: Thinking aboout trying Crayfish #3
You need a licence to keep non-native crayfish in the UK because introduced American signal crayfish have colonised and severely damaged ecosystems. There is a general licence for tropical crayfish for ornamental purposes in heated indoor aquaria - this really just means you can keep the Australian red-claw (Cherax quadricarinatus) presumably because it would not survive in the wild if released.
I don't know anyone who keeps them because you would not be able to keep them with fish.
What sort of tank setup have you got in mind?
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 26/2/2015 22:33
Re: Thinking aboout trying Crayfish #4
Im thinking about a crayfish only tank. Perhaps keeping a pair as I have read that male crayfish tend to be less aggressive to female than other male individuals.

Maybe a sand substrate (3-5cm thick) so the crayfish can dig and burrow, some caves and hardy plants like hornwort, java fern,...

Tank size will be from 80 x 40 to 100 x 40. I haven't bought the tank yet.