johnmandy johnmandy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/2/2015 19:48
where to place bogwood for best effect. #1
Hi all,
As a few of you will know...I have recently renewed my interest in fish keeping, at least goldfish.
Moving on, I wrote a few topics here, regarding nitrogen cycle etc, and was offered brilliant advice, which in turn as turned into what was just an off chance of rescuing a badly kept goldfish into somewhat a passion for my wife and I.
So we have decided, considering life's a little quieter now, since the children have flown the nest, that we would buy a second tank.
Since we have, we think successfully conditioned our first tank, we know we still have regular maintenance to keep this in perfect condition, we decided to purchase a 250 litre tank. Currently this tank is at the beginning of a fishless cycle, everything's going fine with that, but as you do... We have researched many different setups, and have chosen to go again for goldfish, but with live low maintenance plants. We have currently setup the tank to our liking, obviously keeping the fishes welfare in mind.
One problem I do have though, is where to place my treated bogwood. We have placed the wood in several different positions in the tank, but are never satisfied, we currently have 2 pieces of bogwood, and intend to grow some moss on them. We hope to use the wood as the main feature within the tank, but just cannot get it right.
I know there's not just one right answer to my above question, but for those who have bogwood, perhaps as the main focal point in their tank, where do you place yours.
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 11/2/2015 12:16
Re: where to place bogwood for best effect. #2
I don't use bogwood in my current setup but I used to have a large piece of bogwood a few years back and I kept that in the centre of the tank.

Personal opinion of course but I think bogwood always looks best as the centre-piece of a tank with the fish and plants around it, therefore the more unusual / striking piece the better - good pieces of bogwood look odd tucked away in a corner.

There are some incredible pics of aquascaped tanks with bogwood on the internet if you need some inspiration!

My next tank is definitely having bogwood in it - kind of miss it!
johnmandy johnmandy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 11/2/2015 18:19
Re: where to place bogwood for best effect. #3
OK, thanks for that, will take your advice and look at the images on the internet. Did a lot of research already via YouTube, but in all honesty its frying my brain.
In fairness without fish in, I can really take my time.