rusty_f rusty_f
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 16/11/2014 21:49
Shrimp #1
Hi everyone

Been a few months since I posted. I still have the same 125l tank, currently stocked with:

7 x harlequins (original set of fish, still alive, all bar the runt I posted about last year)
3 x panda cories (3 surviving out of an original group of 6 bought about 12 months ago)
3 x normans Lampeyes (3 surviving out of an original group of 6 bought about 6 months ago)

I've had a few ups and downs - mostly downs, with the casualties I've had. Focused on tip-top water quality over the last 6 months and ensuring my TDS doesn't get above 180 (remineralising RO). Everything seems stable now, and no more deaths.

My water parameters are currently:

GH - 5
KH - 3
pH - about 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 20

I am planning on increasing my stock over the next few months as follows:

7 x panda Cories (I read they prefer as big a group as possible, so my aim is 10)
3 x harlequins (bringing group up to 10)
3 x normans Lampeyes (total 6)

I plan to do this over the next two months in 3 groups. Will keep the new ones in a quarantine tank, for two weeks, starting my tank parameters at London tap (as per water in fish shop) and then replacing at 10-15% every few days with remineralised RO to acclimatise the newbies gradually before introducing to the new tank.

My stocking plan gives me about 114cm of fish (max stocking capacity 122cm by my calculations). I was wondering how stocking works for shrimp - I'd be interested in Yamato shrimp, but I don't know how big a bio load they carry, whether it would be tolerable for a decent colony? Am I being a bit too ambitious?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Russell
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/11/2014 0:16
Re: Shrimp #2
Hi

The bioload from shrimps is negligible so don't worry on that score. Make sure they have plenty of places to hide away which they'll need to do when they moult as for a short time after a moult they are very vulnerable until the new shell hardens. Yamato are one of the larger species' and don't breed successfully in fresh water so as the colony won't increase I'd aim to get at least 6 or so to be sure of seeing them about, more if you want.
rusty_f rusty_f
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 17/11/2014 19:04
Re: Shrimp #3
Thank you Fishlady! I read a few posts on various forums that said as much, I just wanted to make sure it was the right thing.