pondseeker pondseeker
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/10/2014 16:06
Pond Fountain advice #1
Hi hope someone will offer advice please.

I am building a small garden pond, small garden & small pond. It measures approx 5ft 6" length; 3ft 3" wide and 4ft depth. I have sunk down in the soil and raised it by building an above ground framework.

My query is as it is 4ft deep with a flat bottom is it possible to put a fountain in the pond without building a central base before inserting the liner. I have shelving on two sides, one side I have installed shelving about 10" deep on the length side there is some concrete (builders always leave some) blocks which cannot be moved so I will use as shelving under my liner these ar about 3' deep. These are on the sides of the pond the centre is about 5'6" in length and 2'5" wide.

I also intend building a waterfall the gallonage is about 540 and as I say the depth 4' what size pump would I need to drive both the fountain and the waterfall

I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/10/2014 21:49
Re: Pond Fountain advice #2
Quote:

pondseeker wrote:

My query is as it is 4ft deep with a flat bottom is it possible to put a fountain in the pond without building a central base before inserting the liner.

Yes.

Pity its not that simple.

You can have a fountain in the middle of your pond but if you build a "tower" first then put the liner over the top you will need to buy a much bigger liner to allow for the "tower" and you also stand a very good chance of tearing the liner on the "tower" Also, the question is, how tall will you build this "tower" You can not say until you have decided on which pump you are going to use. (Then you can find the measurements of this pump with its nozzle fitted, and build a tower to the correct height.)

It would be much easier to build the "tower" on the liner and put a fountain pump on top of the "tower" You put an off cut of liner on the main liner, then build your main tower on this. (Its easier, less hassle and adjustable.)

You should also be aware that your tower can not be cemented together unless you wait for it to dry and then seal the cement, the reason is the cement contains lime which will upset the ph of your pond, and as a result may kill any fish.

Filter

I have to ask, what are you doing in respect of filtration?
I would ask that you read the information on the following link CLICK HERE

More things I feel I should point out.

Having a fountain in a pond is good, in summer it aerates the water, but what about at night? it "becomes noisy" Simple, turn it off. Sorry can't do that , the pump for the fountain is the same one that supplies the filter. The answer is simple, two pumps, one for the filter and one for the fountain.
There is a difference between a fountain pump and a filter pump. In short a filter pump can move solids and a fountain pump can't. More information can be found if you CLICK HERE

Fountain height.

As your pond will be just over 3 feet wide, your fountain jet can can only be 18 inches tall at most, any more you run the risk of emptying the pool. To find out more CLICK HERE

Pond volume

You do need to know the pond volume to decide which filter and pump you need. You said its about 540 gallons. If you use the calculator to the right, you will see your pond is only 445 gallons (You can buy a smaller pump and filter now)

Any questions /anything you are not sure of, please ask.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
pondseeker pondseeker
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 26/10/2014 14:05
Re: Pond Fountain advice #3
Hi 2010

May I thank you for your very comprehensive and helpful response.

I shall digest all the information you have given and pointed me to and may take you up on further questions.

I really appreciate you taking time out to help a novice get to grips with what I believe will be a fascinating hobby.
pondseeker pondseeker
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 29/10/2014 17:03
Re: Pond Fountain advice #4
Further to you very helpful advice which I have read and digested could you help with another couple of questions if I may please:

You mentioned building a tower in the pond and placing it on top of the liner, I accept this, but can you indicate what you would use for materials to build the tower?

Is it possible to not install a fountain but construct a waterfall only? Would this circulate the water and attract oxygen into the pool in the same way as a fountain?

If you could help please it would be appreciated.

regards

David
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 29/10/2014 22:05
Re: Pond Fountain advice #5
OASE do another option that could be perfect for you if you do not want to worry about the building of a tower in your pond.

Its called the Water Startlet 5 Jet, really neat piece of kit and a real customer favorate, comes with 5 lights built in too!

(You would have to place in the middle of the pond and fix with wire or something)

CB

EDIT: Your planned pond is rather small and like 2010 said you will have to be careful to not empty the pond, but im sure i can remember the startlet having ajustable flow rates but i will have to double check that tomorrow.
One who cannot love her smallest creations, cannot claim to stand before Nature - Takashi Amano

www.midlandspondservices.co.uk
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 29/10/2014 22:43
Re: Pond Fountain advice #6
CB100, I can see from this and other posts you like Oase, I can understand that, Oase is good kit, but can I ask you stop trying to push it on people.

The Water Startlet 5 Jet, is one of the biggest wastes of space that Oase ever made.

Also in this case it is NOT suitable.

2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 29/10/2014 22:53
Re: Pond Fountain advice #7
pondseeker

If you really want to do it you can make a "Tower" from bricks, but no cement. But to be honest, due to the dimensions of your pond I would not bother with a fountain. (yet)

You also ask about having a waterfall instead and will said waterfall oxygenate the water?

The answer is yes.

Most pond owners who have ponds with fish (Not counting Koi) have the filter return the water to the pond via a waterfall. As you want fish in your pond, then having a waterfall would seem a "natural" choice.

Anything else you want to know / not sure of. Just ask.

pondseeker pondseeker
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 29/10/2014 22:53
Re: Pond Fountain advice #8
thanks for comments and trying to help. I should say I am 72 but still have all my faculties (I think - now what was I saying??)

I can certainly get my hands on bricks, as to leave the tower until I tried the waterfall is not an option as it woulkd be difficult to put in situ once pond was filled. I want to get the water in wo let it settle over the winter and introduce plants firs and then fish next spring,

I appreciate my pond is small but I have limited space and I like to grow flowers also.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 29/10/2014 23:37
Re: Pond Fountain advice #9
Most aquatic plants do not like moving water such as you get from fountains, and due to the size of your pond I really would not worry about a fountain just yet.

Putting bricks in a later date is not a problem. (Trust me) You empty the pond out and then put them in. I am being serious, I shall expand on that.

A pond, being a hole in the ground with water, fish and plants is also a "giant collection bucket" if you will, in that it will collect fish poop, any dust and dirt blown in by the wind as well as parts of your plants as they die (and sometimes golf balls) These are just facts of pond life.

So what options are there?

Bottom drain

Koi pond owners, often have a "bottom drain" in their ponds, this removes a considerable amount of material from the pond. (But are expensive and require other things to make them function properly)

Pond vac

A very special vacuum cleaner that really does work in a pond. (I am not joking) They are good, but again not cheap.

Spring clean

Those of us that can not afford or do not want either of the above have to........empty the pond out once a year and clear out all the crud that has built up. A dust pan (with rubber edge) and soft brush. It really does work wonders.

It would be at this stage (if you still want to) that you can add your tower, but as I said, you can do without for a year.

Filter.

You should add a filter now during or just after construction, as it will give the filter time to "mature" (Ok you may have to add some fish food to help it start)

A fountain can wait, a filter can't.

As always, please ask if you have any more questions / not sure. (Time for bed now.)

pondseeker pondseeker
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 31/10/2014 12:44
Re: Pond Fountain advice #10
Hello 2010

Thank you again for your valuable advice I shall certainly install a filter first and foremost, plus a waterfall and as you say review the fountain, if necessary, next year.

At my age time flashes by and you wish it would slow down but can I really wait until next spring to introduce fish, of course I can.

Thank you again for taking the time out to help a novice.

regards