marcel marcel
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/4/2014 21:40
leaches #1
Hi I am hoping I can get some advice,today I was cleaning my pond filter and notice a few, I think leaches in the filter along with loads of what lock like wood lice but slightly different . I would imagine these might be some type of lavia. But my concern is the leaches will thes if they are leaches pose a problem for my fish?
Any help will be appreciated.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 28/4/2014 0:57
Re: leaches #2
Hi!
I don't know much about pond but I'm sure that you'll have to deal with lots of critters.

About leech, they won't kill your fish but they will feed on your fish, or any other animals including you. So it's best to get rid of them.

About the lice, you might be having fish lice. They look pretty much the same but they do live in the water. These are pretty dangerous to fish as they can cause some serious infection. Get rid of these and monitor your fish carefully. Any sight of stress/flashing should be treated with fish lice treatment.
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/4/2014 15:58
Re: leaches #3
Personally I would not worry. Fish lice do not look much like woodlice. What you're probably seeing are Water Lice, which are related to woodlice.

With regards to leeches it depends on the species. Lots of them, especially the smaller ones aren't parasitic. There are only a couple of species in the UK that will attack fish, and the best way of getting rid of them is to drain the pond and leave it dry for over a month. THe fish leeches that you're likely to see in the UK are fairly distinctive striped animals with large suckers. Most of the common leeches aren't anything to worry about.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
marcel marcel
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 29/4/2014 22:44
Re: leaches #4
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I phoned World of water in Romsey and they had said the same as you.
The leaches are very dark with no stripes.I was informed that there is some thing that can be purchased to kill them although the person I spoke to today said they probably will not pose a problem to the fish.
Karl Karl
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 29/5/2014 13:23
Re: leaches #5
I was advised to use Eradick from NT Labs early mid and late season to keep leeches and any lice under control.
The advice was don't wait until they've got them.