NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/4/2014 12:30
Various fish ailments #1
Hi all,
Not posted for a while, but need some advice if possible please.
My pond is starting to come back to life again now the weather is warming up and I've noticed there are some fish with ailments that don't seem to affect them but look like they should!

1) I have a golden orfe with a crooked back; complete curvature. It swims and eats fine, so is it ok to just leave?

2) I seem to no longer have my three blue orfe, but my three golden are still there - where will they possibly have gone?!

3) I have a shubunkin with pinky lumps on its fin where it joins it's body and along the front edge of its fins. Just this one mind, which makes me think it isn't contagious?

4) One of my small koi has white patches all over it, almost like faded white blobs?

Any advice or he'll appreciated; would pictures help?
NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 12/4/2014 13:14
Re: Various fish ailments #2
Number 1...
NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 12/4/2014 13:39
Re: Various fish ailments #3
Sorry here are some photos if they load properly...
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 12/4/2014 15:33
Re: Various fish ailments #4
What pictures?

You should use the "preview" button before you post.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 12/4/2014 20:20
Re: Various fish ailments #5
Hi, the pictures aren't showing up. Try again or add them to the gallery. Alternatively if you have a photobucket account upload them there and post the links here

Without seeing pictures nobody can say for sure what is wrong with the fish, however they could be suffering from a virus. It certainly sounds like a possibility. If this is the case there isn't much that can be done other than keeping the water as healthy as possible. Viruses generally aren't fatal unless a secondary bacterial infection sets in and is left untreated.

I'm not sure what the cause of a crooked spine is, maybe genetic or exposure to high nitrates? I'm sure one of the advisers can answer this better

The disappearing fish? There are many possibilities.

Do you happen to have water test results? It would be helpful to know the water conditions.
NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 13/4/2014 10:38
Re: Various fish ailments #6
Thanks, I keep trying to upload the pictures, it presents them at the bottom with a check box to delete them, but doesn't seem to put them in the thread after I press submit? Have tried loads of times!!

Attach file:

jpg  (559.55 KB)
13681_534a691278746.jpg 2047X1601 px
NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 13/4/2014 10:39
Re: Various fish ailments #7
Oh I think it is working today!!

Attach file:

jpg  (694.65 KB)
13681_534a6941844a8.jpg 1616X1420 px
NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 13/4/2014 10:39
Re: Various fish ailments #8
Last one! :)

Attach file:

jpg  (455.02 KB)
13681_534a6966b4f27.jpg 1119X1334 px
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 13/4/2014 13:28
Re: Various fish ailments #9
Quite a collection of ailments there! The koi looks like it might have carp pox, this isn't fatal and tends to come and go with the seasons as temperatures change. Have a read of this for more info:
http://test.environment-agency.gov.uk ... nts/Business/Carp_pox.pdf

The shubunkin may have lymphocystis, this is a viral condition, or else it might just be a tumour. Have a look here for lymphocystis:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=3706

And also here:
http://www.fishtanksandponds.co.uk/sp ... ery=lymphocystis&search=1

The orfe has an issue that's frequently seen in orfe unfortunately, and that's just mass breeding with inadequate culling to remove deformities. I've seen plenty of bent orfe for sale in various fish shop, it's just poor breeding unfortunately As long as it's not showing any obvious signs of distress there's nothing you can do but let it be I'm not sure what it is that causes it, or whether it's particular to orfe, but it does seem to be common with them. If it's one that's been bred by your own fish it's likely it's just bad luck that they've spawned one with this deformity.

As for the blue ones, are you absolutely sure they're not there? If there's been any cats/herons/etc. around recently the fish are likely be a bit cautious and just be lurking in the depths. Being blue they'll be harder to see than the others so they might be in there but you just haven't seen them for a while

With all of these things, having good water conditions will help mitigate the health issues
It's Not Just A Fish
NJS1982 NJS1982
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 21/9/2014 15:45
Re: Various fish ailments #10
Hi, thanks for the response to this; really useful.

The Orfe and Shubumpkin, no changes there and still swimming and eating fine all these months later.

No idea what happened to the Blue Orfe, that is still a mystery! Not seen them all year!

Back to my Koi with the Pox. It still has it, if anything, worse and now on it's tail and fins. I would say it is covering about 70% of it now. I was expecting it to improve over the warmer summer. Whilst unsightly, I would honestly say that it does not seem to affect the fish at all. It swims fine, eats fine and just has these white fluffy areas all over it, including it's mouth. I don't know what to do, I can't take a very clear picture to show you but I am really worried about it. Obviously it doesn't seem to be spreading to the other fish but I'd really like to clear it up somehow if I can.

Anyone have any ideas??