(1) 2 »
ManvFish ManvFish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/4/2014 22:28
yoyo's stuck in bogwood? #1
Hi there, first time posting on a fishy forum so please bare with me and my ignorance whilst I learn as I go. Whoever knew a "cast off" tank from my sister would result in such an awesome yet obsessive hobby lol

I guess I have quite a few questions really, but the most pressing one involves 2 of my yoyo loaches. I have 4 in my 60ltr tank and a couple of nights ago I realised 2 weren't around at feeding time. After a couple of days I noticed the other ones could swim inside a hole in a piece of bogwood and later on lifted it and had a look around. Sure enough I spotted one of the runaways wiggling its way into another tight hole. I replaced the bogwood making sure the holes I know about aren't covered or buried in the substrate. I've read that this isn't uncommon behaviour and they should come out on their own accord, but what if they don't? Is there much I can do and how long do I wait til I take action?
Also, is it worth filling the holes in if/when they come out to prevent it happening again or is it really just better to let them live free as they would in the wild, whatever the consequences?

Thanks in advance.Dan
great_kahn great_kahn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 8/4/2014 23:26
Re: yoyo's stuck in bogwood? #2
So long as they are't getting stuck it should be fine. Although we did have a stripped dora get stuck in a pot boat ornament once. Usually it would come out to eat but when this stopped we thought he died in the boat.... lifting the boat out of the water and placing it back in gave him the motivation to force himself free, went on to live another 10 years.

FYI the tank you have probably not big enough for those fish.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 9/4/2014 0:02
Re: yoyo's stuck in bogwood? #3
Clearly your tank is too small for yoyo loachs. These are big fish and you'll need somewhere like at least 250l tank for them.

Cover or fill any hole that is too small for the fish. They'll try to get in any gap they can even if it's very small, problem is they can't get out.
More info here.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/botia-almorhae/

You'll need to rehome them and keep new fish or get a much bigger tank
ManvFish ManvFish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 9/4/2014 0:23
Re: yoyo's stuck in bogwood? #4
Yep mistakes have and will be made and thats partly why I joined this forum - to learn how to be a responsible fish keeper.

Buying 4 (because I'd read they do better in numbers) maybe wasn't the right thing to do, but right now they're all around 1.5in or less and I'll have new 5ft tank starting to cycle next weekend so they'll have a better home in good time.

My main concern really is what to do with the 2 that appear to be inside the bogwood. I've had a rummage around, turned it upwards to open up the "holey" side and allow them space to swim out. The problem might be that they've gone far inside and can't reverse or turn around. How long should I leave it before considering taking action and breaking open the bogwood? Are there any specific techniques or useful tools to make the job easier?

Despite being new to this, I do care a lot for the welfare of all my fish and would rather get it right first time than mess about getting it wrong and stressing the fish even further.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 9/4/2014 4:52
Re: yoyo's stuck in bogwood? #5
Wow they're still in there?

Is there another end that big enough that fit the fish? Honestly I don't think breaking the wood is a good idea as it can hurt the fish.

If there's a hole at another end and it's big enough (provided that the way out is safe and no sharp objects on the way out), you can force water in to flush the fish out. You can use a water pump or your tap should be strong enough to do it (Make sure you have some water container so the fish will be in water right away after you flush it out). It's safe for the fish if the water input is at the tail of the fish

If there's no hole. You'll need to pull the fish out. I'd use something like Stissue Forceps that you use for planting plants in aquarium to pull the fish out. Do this gently to avoid damaging the fish's tail
great_kahn great_kahn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 9/4/2014 10:09
Re: yoyo's stuck in bogwood? #6
I would try by lifting the wood out of the water and placing it back in a few times, I would be suprised if this didnt encourage them out.
ManvFish ManvFish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 9/4/2014 12:08
Re: yoyo's stuck in bogwood? #7
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Still no sign of them this morning but I'll give both ideas a go this afternoon and report back if all goes well.
ManvFish ManvFish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 9/4/2014 17:57
Re: yoyo's stuck in bogwood? #8
Good news. After flushing pump water through each hole and taking the wood out a few times, the quartet are back together again and looking rather happy.

Thanks again for the help.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 10/4/2014 21:32
Re: yoyo's stuck in bogwood? #9
Remove that wood then!!!!

I hate d?cor that can trap fish whether natural wood with all it's nooks and crannies or fake plastic d?cor.

Heavy planting or 'specifically' bought caves (think plecs) are the only way to go IMHO.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
ManvFish ManvFish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 10/4/2014 22:01
Re: yoyo's stuck in bogwood? #10
Evening violet, how are you?

First off, your use of !!!!!! is commonly used to emphasise shouting on the internet and thats both rude and unnecessary, especially as we don't know each other nor do you have any right to demand anything of me.

Secondly, what makes you think I haven't already done so? Or how about I maybe filled in the holes? Or maybe I split the wood and now no holes exist? Or maybe I realised the holes lead to a large internal hollow and they're extremely happy to be in there and it took me caring enough about them to ask a forum full of "keyboard experts" and/or fellow keen fish keepers to find that out?

I came on here, admitted I was new to this, had made mistakes, probably will again and asked for help. I think that consistutes me being pretty decent and responsible. What I didn't ask for was your opinion on decor after being "shouted at" for a piece of wood and tank you next to nothing about.

Maybe I'm just being sensitive and a bit grumpy after a crap day at work, but the reality of it is, the least you could've done was say hello before offering some constructive critism/advice.

Once again, to the folk kind enough to offer useful advice, thank you very much and lesson learnt.