Striker Striker
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Berkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/3/2014 16:12
New house new tank, this time Malawi! #1
Thought I'd try Malawi this time which is a complete voyage into the unknown for me! So would appreciate a little advice.

Some details on where my head it at at the moment

I've a 200l tank in mind, 100 x 40 x 50
Water from the tap is hard with a ph of 8

Planning on crushed coral substrate, lots of ocean rock or limestone. LED lighting to give the deep water effect, couple of options on filtration either APS 1400EF or Fluval 405. Will also run a couple of sponge filters as back up/additional filtration.

Obviously I've read the basics online, but am not at all familiar with the fish or stocking levels, the other cichlids I keep work on the less is more principle :)

I'd like something along the lines of the classic blue and yellow Malawi mix maybe with a couple of wildcards thrown in. So far I like the look of

Pseudotropheus saulosi
Pseudotropheus demasoni
Labidochromis caeruleus
Peacock cichlids

At the moment I'm just thinking maybe 15 saulosi - but that's more form lack of knowledge/imagination than anything else!

What might you do with the set up I've described?
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/3/2014 16:48
Re: New house new tank, this time Malawi! #2
You might want to test your hardness first too to be sure.

Malawis are really messy, you'll need an over-filtered tank with strong flow. Both of the filter you mentioned seems good to me.

For stocking, you'll need to do some research on what you want to keep. I don't think peacocks will fit with some of the mbunas you mentioned. Also peacocks are more like open-space swimmers while Pseudotropheus or Labidochromis are mainly cave fish. Pseu. and Lab. will require at least 1 cave/fish and they're extremely territorial. 200l tank is the minimum required for malawi tank so you really can keep only 1 kind of malawi.

15 Saulosi might be a little too much. I think 10 is maximum you can keep in a 200l. It's still overstocked but malawi tanks need to be overstocked to spread the aggression. Male/female ratio should be 1 male/3-4females. For this, do not buy small saulosi or you'll end up with too many males. Females saulosi are yellow and the dominant male will be blue. However you might only see 1 or 2 fish get to have blue color even if you have like 5 males.