kiddly kiddly
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Stirlingshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/3/2014 11:39
german blue & electric blue rams #1
most my fish except (1)German blue/(1)Electric blue rams have died with whitespot will they be ok without a mate of the same type & what other fish can i put in with them when the time is right
RedLotus RedLotus
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Posted on: 20/3/2014 12:05
Re: german blue & electric blue rams #2
Although more peaceful than most cichlids when it comes to restocking it may be best add a few more rams to prevent the other tank inhabitants from becoming the target of any territorial aggression.
Firstly though I'd try to work out why the whitespot outbreak caused such a huge problem in your tank as it is a fairly easily treated parasitic infection. Getting to the bottom of this is far more important to try and prevent the same scenario from happening again.

How big a tank? How long had it been set up? How many fish were in it and how soon were they added? Had you changed anything recently? Water readings.... anything to help someone advise you.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/3/2014 12:38
Re: german blue & electric blue rams #3
Your tank is only big enough for a single pair of Rams. As GBR and EBR are the same species then if one is male and the other female leave them as they are. If they are both the same sex, watch out for aggression (especially if two males) and if necessary rehome one of them.

Quote:
Firstly though I'd try to work out why the whitespot outbreak caused such a huge problem in your tank as it is a fairly easily treated parasitic infection

This has already been addressed
RedLotus RedLotus
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Posted on: 20/3/2014 13:02
Re: german blue & electric blue rams #4
Aah ok Fishlady, I take it this has been an ongoing issue. My apologies! :)
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 20/3/2014 17:39
Re: german blue & electric blue rams #5
In my opinion, it's best to keep cichlids in a group or get a mated pair if you have a minimum volume for the fish. Most soft water cichlids are pair fish, having 2 same sex specie in a minimum tank might cause lots of aggression once they're mature. 1 male might dominate a small tank and give the other one stress.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 20/3/2014 21:06
Re: german blue & electric blue rams #6
Keeping groups, that's only true nathan, if the bottom surface area of the tank is big enough to do so. In this case, not so.

Most cichlids will show aggression when mating, hence the above.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti