DavidP DavidP
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/3/2014 23:15
Hitchhiker #1
Not sure if this is even plant or animal or remnant of something else. It appears to be rooted to the spot but sometimes seems to lie virtually flat and at others seems to stand upright. Any help greatly appreciated. My shrimp seems to be interested in it, but then again they are interested in anything new.

Original Image

Original Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/3/2014 17:38
Re: Hitchhiker #2
Hi DaveP
welcome to fk Sorry you haven't had a reply to your question, but hopefully one of our marine advisor's will be around soon to shed some light onto your Hitch-hiker
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 17/3/2014 18:00
Re: Hitchhiker #3
Hi,
Any chance of a clearer picture? Looks like it could be a zoanthid polyp of some variety, or possibly a large aiptasia, but pic isn't clear enough for me to see properly, and also aiptasia can move... Does it have any other distinguishing characteristics? Have you touched it with an object to see if it moves/retracts in response. Is this a new piece of rock in your tank? If so, knowing when you bought it and when you first spotted it gives me a timeline to work out how quickly it may have grown etc.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
DavidP DavidP
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 17/3/2014 22:44
Re: Hitchhiker #4
Tried for a better pic but no luck yet, will try to aquire my wife's digital camera when she isn't looking, might be better then the phone. It doesn't retract if touched with anything but does seem to be longer at some times than others. also sometimes lies flat and othertimes stands virtually upright, but hasn't actually moved from the spot its on. The green zoa is new, been in the tank just over a week. I didn't notice it when I first got it , but was certainly there the next day. Although obviously I haven't tried giving it a good squeeze, it feels fairly solid not squishy. Will keep trying with the pic. if all else fails will temporally move to the front of the tank see if that helps with clarity any.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 17/3/2014 23:20
Re: Hitchhiker #5
Could be some kind of sponge.. If it doesn't retract its not a polyp of anything, if you can get it as close to the glass as possible and with as much light as possible that should help. I don't think its anything bad though.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
DavidP DavidP
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 21/3/2014 20:11
Re: Hitchhiker #6
Two hopefully clearer pictures

Original ImageOriginal Image