barryjarvis barryjarvis
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Clwyd
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/2/2014 12:00
Marine 'Tools of the trade' #1
Hi all,

I have my new marine tank setup being delivered later this week and so am currently well in to the research process of setting it all up etc and making sure i have everything in place ready to go.
So, with that in mind i'm after a shopping list of things that i'm going to need.

Here's so far:

1) Water Testing Kit - Most places it seems are pushing me towards the API kits. I presume this is suitable for now? (i have read that the Salifert kits are better?)

2) Hyrdometer/Refractometer - Refractometer is apparently more accurate so i'm heading towards that (i'd rather buy right the first time). Any recommendations?

3) Cleaning equipment - Here's where i'm completely open. Any "must have's"?

I know this is probably really basic stuff but what i don't want to do is go out and buy what i *think* is right, only to then find out i could've bought something much better for the same money, or not a lot more etc

Like i said, i'd rather buy the right stuff first time round.

Any help/advice appreciated.
psymongreen psymongreen
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Avon
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Deep End
  • Posted on: 10/2/2014 12:32
Re: Marine 'Tools of the trade' #2
1) I use Salifert as when I started out I tried API and didn't like them. What you plan to keep determines which tests you need to get - for example, if you plan to keep SPS corals then you'll need to test for more than a fish only system.

2) I've got the D-D Refractometer. The instructions are clear and I find it easy to use. I went with this after a lot of recommendations from "Other" generic Marine forum

3) I tend to use a scrubbing pad and pipe cleaner (the type that looks like a cat tail making itself "look big"). I've also got a "scrubber on a stick" for cleaning the tank glass.
barryjarvis barryjarvis
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Clwyd
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/2/2014 11:22
Re: Marine 'Tools of the trade' #3
thanks for the reply... i'll check out the salifert stuff once i've finished the API kit i've already got.

off to ebay to grab a refractometer :)