Woody101083 Woody101083
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/1/2014 10:36
PLEASE HELP:- New Marine Fish Tank Beginner #1
Good Morning All.

I am currently new to this site and also new to keeping marine fish, to cut a long story short I have kept tropical fish all my life and took the plunge as a new year resolution to keep marine fish as I have always wanted to do it but was always to nervous to try.

I have recently purchased an "Aqua One" "Aqua Reef 195" tank and system, I bought this complete with tank, stand and all the equipment I required to start up my tank.(filter, bio balls(I think), protein skimmer, heaters x2, lighting-T5, wave-maker.

I set up the system on 3/1/14, I installed an aqua one G220 protein skimmer and installed live sand and approx 17 kilos of live rock, when I had the tank delivered, they brought the made up RO water, the fish supplier advised that all I needed to do was install all the above and let the tank cycle? is this correct?

Since I installed the sand and the water, the water has been milky and has been since day one? I have been that concerned I have contacted several fish suppliers and keep getting told various different answers, can someone please advise???????????

Do I do a water change? will this affect my cycle and will this stop my cloudy water?

I have turned off the protein skimmer as 3 out of the 5 suppliers I rang told me to turn off as this will slow down the cycle? Is this correct?

Do I have the wave-maker facing the top of the tank to help with removing this cloudy water through the filter?

Do I have the outlet from sump half in and half out the water to aid with the cloudy water?

So many questions and I am sorry to ask so many, I am just so confused and keep being given different advise I just done know which is correct?

I carried out a water test yesterday as I was getting alittle bit worried about the water and it not clearing up as quick as I have read on here......my results are:-

NO3:- 20
No2:- 0.5
PH:- 8.0
KH:- 180
GH:- 180
Ammonia:- 0.2ppm

Is this the levels I would expect from 4 days of cycling? Am I best installing some bacteria chemical into the water and/or the sump or water cleaner chemical into the water???

PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

Kind Regards

Attach file:

jpg  (1,402.81 KB)
17104_52cbd988965a7.jpg 2448X3264 px
Never be scared of a challenge.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/1/2014 12:27
Re: PLEASE HELP:- New Marine Fish Tank Beginner #2
Looking great so far woody! Have replied to your message, will wait for you to reply, as i don't want to overload you with info, we'll tackle things in turn as they come up!
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Woody101083 Woody101083
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 7/1/2014 12:50
Re: PLEASE HELP:- New Marine Fish Tank Beginner #3
Hi Gill.

Many thanks for the PM and the response.

I believe that supplier said it was salted RO water, do you suggest I do a 10% water change of just RO water?

You are correct that the tests are dip tests, I will go to the fish shop in next hour and get the liquid tests and the hydrometer.

Do you think I should add fish food or the chemical ammonia? Which would you suggest?
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/1/2014 13:09
Re: PLEASE HELP:- New Marine Fish Tank Beginner #4
Hi again,
just to add to the info in the pm, Hydrometers will work, but refractometers are better, much more accurate and easier to read.
Should be able to obtain pure ammonia from hardware stores in the cleaning aisle, check the ingredients if in any doubt as to whether it has anything nasty in it.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Woody101083 Woody101083
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 7/1/2014 18:14
Re: PLEASE HELP:- New Marine Fish Tank Beginner #5
Hi.

Sent you a private message, hope you don't think I am a pain.

I went to the local fish supplier and they didn't have any ammonia in stock, I am going to hit eBay tonight for items you have suggested so far and also I will wait for recommendation from you with regards to changing the filter sponge and also the bio balls.

Keep up the good work and help