CHellewise CHellewise
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/12/2013 19:01
Brichardi advice #1
Hi all,
I am looking at purchasing some brichardi juvies but would like some advice on them first before I dive in and couldnt see a caresheet (incase i've gone mad) so was wondering if anyone keeps these?

I'm doing a jig around of my tanks at the moment and giving my kribensis their own tank where they can happily breed all they want.

Just any advice would be helpful or opinion. Thanks :)
Original Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/12/2013 21:48
Re: Brichardi advice #2
I take it you mean Neolamprologus pulcher a.k.a. Brichardi, Fairy cichlid?

If you want a pair you can keep them in a small tank around 70 litres but will need to start with a small group of around six and move on the spares when they pair off.

They're very territorial and extremely aggressive when breeding, but do have an amazing community/family social structure so to see them at their best a 4ft tank to allow a full colony to develop is a great way to keep them.

Water wise they're typical Tanganyikans so need hard, alkaline water - around gH 10-12 or harder with kH around 12 and pH of about 8.2 and around 24-25C. Lots of rocks/caves for hiding and spawning, sand as a substrate and keep nitrates low by doing frequent water changes as they don't tolerate nitrate well, nor do they cope well with changes to water chemistry. SF has a care sheet, but it's a bit lacking in detail.
CHellewise CHellewise
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 11/12/2013 22:00
Re: Brichardi advice #3
Thanks, will look into it. I like the idea of a small 70litre pair tank :D May go ahead and try something different. They're so pretty :) Will do some more research before I dive in though.

On another note, my fancy goldie tank is at 24 degrees, would it be okay to have 2 bristlenose plecs in there? Ive heard of people doing this but would rather ask you guys first. :)
Original Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/12/2013 22:16
Re: Brichardi advice #4
People do, but personally I don't think it's a good idea. The BNs are very tolerant of a wide range of temps and hardness/pH, but at the end of the day they really are a tropical soft water fish. Added to that, they have a heavy bioload so that's another reason not to mix them with goldies who are prolific in their waste output to start with.

Occasionally, some plecs will acquire a taste for the slime coat on goldfish and latch onto them to suck at it which inevitably causes distress and injury to the goldfish. Personally I don't believe it should be done.
CHellewise CHellewise
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 11/12/2013 22:37
Re: Brichardi advice #5
Will leave them where they are then, didn't consider the bio output. I'm rescaping my other tank at the moment. Am just wanting to mix up my fancy tank a bit, but no idea how. Ornaments are such a bad idea - I had to remove my last one as I was worried about them getting stuck! They leave my vallis alone though. lol.
Original Image
Lister d Lister d
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 21/12/2013 18:18
Re: Brichardi advice #6
Just read your post on Brichardis Many years ago i had 4 breeding pairs and found them to be a very peaceful species The only time they showed any real aggression towards tank mates was when they were in the throws of spawning at which point they would defend half of a 3ft tank and push anything in with them to the other end They were however a real delight to keep and became very friendly at feeding time Hope this helps
I dont pro