Animal Welfare Vote
ratboiler ratboiler
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/12/2013 17:20
Large pond filer advice please this really does need sorting. #1
Hi first post and the second time of writing this, as hit the enter button and lost the lot. Anyway I have a pond 13.6 m x 3m x 1.6m deep, it came with the house we bought over 6 years ago and I love it. It has 4 Koi, 4 golden Orf all around 18 inches, 30 - 40 goldfish, and 30 to 40 full size Rudd, plus 100's of younger fish. We also have a resident heron that is assisting the level of breeding in the pond. Problem is the pond filter, the original system consisted of 2 x 50 gal tanks one with brushes the other with filter mats and plastic pipes below and a UV light. This was just about coping and required cleaning once a week, too much for me. So I changed the system to a hoeslock system, now I have white foamy bubbles on the pond, filters that clog up within a day, and a UV system that requires me to dismantle a complete light assembly just to check if it is still working. The pond does not have any weeds thanks to the Kio just lilly pads and reeds around the edges. It is not a choice of getting rid of the Kio's much as I would like to as the wife likes them, and the heron seems incapable of catching them. I need a filter system that does not need cleaning for say 3 weeks, and when it does does not take hours to clean the filters properly, is this too much to ask for. I am not after top quality water, just clear water. My thoughts are that the large solids coming through from the pond are blocking the filters as they are solid with muck. the pump is sitting approx 6" above the bottom of the pond, I used one of the hoselock pond vacs which is as good as useless and stops at the first piece of weed or leaves from the trees which are not close to the pond. So let me have your advice please.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/12/2013 17:35
Re: Large pond filer advice please this really does need sorting. #2
Pictures please.

(Pond and filtration)

You can add them by copying them to your computer and then select them by using the "browse" and "upload" buttons when you click on the reply to post button.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
ratboiler ratboiler
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 8/12/2013 18:32
Re: Large pond filer advice please this really does need sorting. #3
Sorry no pictures at the moment but will take a few next weekend, as dark when I go to work and dark when I get back.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/12/2013 14:53
Re: Large pond filer advice please this really does need sorting. #4
Hi Ratboiler, welcome to the site.

I believe you might of fell into a similar trap by the manufactures that a lot of people do unfortunately.

The two tanks you had would of been (as you've found out) better than any hozelock system that I know they make (although its been a while since I was in the trade) do you know what system the Hozelock filter is? Box? Pressurised?

Im guessing you no longer have the old filters?

Also when was the last time you cleaned the bottom of the pond? Either manaually or by pond vac? Do you know how old the pond is?
ratboiler ratboiler
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 25/12/2013 19:42
Re: Large pond filer advice please this really does need sorting. #5
Hi Fredrick and thanks for your reply, I took a look at your profile and noted you had also replied on a pond vac, well I have used the ?100 hozelock pond vac and think it is a waste of money. If weeds get sucked into it it jams, if leaves get sucked into it it jams, if it sucks up a small amount of gravel gravel it jams, and is difficult to use on a deep pond, if the handle is held at any height over 18" above the pond it struggles to draw the water up IMHO. I am open to and desperate to get one that will actually do the job. My next stop is swimming pool vacs. Back to the filter, yep think I got suckered into a sales job on the hozlock filter, it is a trinamic gravity back to the pond, the filters cost a fortune and take an age to clean up before returning to the unit, 9 of them together with vorton UV lamps, another waste of time as you have to strip down the plumbing to get to them and I have two. The filters are clogging up fast so to answer your questions, I vac the bottom as best I could this summer, don't want to drain it and clean it as it is a liner and an old one at that, the pond is at least 14 years old and well established. I am now looking at a Nexus 310 does somebody have an opinion on this type? It will fit but looks very complicated, and is very expensive. I just want something that will work is easy to clean the filters and is not going to cost a fortune in new filters, is that really too much to ask?
Any advice gladly taken on the filters or the vac side of things.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 27/12/2013 20:06
Re: Large pond filer advice please this really does need sorting. #6
Still waiting for the pictures...........
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
ratboiler ratboiler
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 28/12/2013 9:54
Re: Large pond filer advice please this really does need sorting. #7
Sorry I will take a few today.
Koilady Koilady
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Canada
  • Posted on: 17/1/2014 21:58
Re: Large pond filer advice please this really does need sorting. #8
Hi Ratboiler. I've written a response to your question about filtration on the forum. The problem is that the answer goes on quite a bit and I thought that I had better put small sections in at a time. If you would prefer not to read all of it, just let me know. :0)

Hi Ratboiler. I know exactly what you?re going through because I?ve been there. My Husband dragged me kicking and screaming into the aquarium and pond hobby and I loved both hobbies but I have to admit that the Koi have captured my heart.
When we moved into our new home, Hubby put in three, 1,000 gallon ponds for his tropical fish and he had a machine come in to dig a hole to put in my 13,000 gallon Koi pond. Unfortunately, the city continued to use pesticides in the park behind us and he used to lose so many tropicals, some of them were even on the endangered species list and some were extinct in the wild. The city doesn?t put pesticides in the park any more so Hubby has been purchasing some rubber cattle troughs to house his tropicals on the patio.
All together, hubby built 14 ponds for me. We imported, raised and bred high quality Japanese Koi from Niigata Japan and Orandas from China and Singapore. Luckily, we started off with Koi stock purchased around here in Ontario, Canada so that I could learn how to take care of these beautiful creatures.
Some of our ponds had hair algae so long that it would trap fry where they would die. In other ponds, including the 13,000 gallon pond, the water was so green that we never saw our Koi until we brought them inside in the fall.
At that time we were using an upflow bio-filter with lava rock. This filter worked great for about four to six weeks in that the water cleared and hair algae died back in the ponds. Unfortunately, after this period of time, the water would return to it?s green colour and hair algae started to grow back in the others.
A friend of ours came over one day to help Hubby build a new bio-filter that he had found in a book or on the net. This filter was so easy to keep clean because debris was trapped at the top of the filter so that the scrubbies we used for bio-media stayed clear of sludge. After about a month I noticed a lot of light brown particulate in the water of the filter but because there was no sludge I didn?t worry about it. I used predator netting to contain the first level of bio-media, then I added a second level in the filters that didn?t have bottom drains. This way it was easy for me to remove the bio-media so that I could drain the filters and get all the sludge out from the bottom of the filter. Sometimes I would take the bio-media and swish it around in the ponds to remove excess particulate before putting it back into the filter.

If you want to read the rest, let me know.
Your's Koily, Lorraine
Koilady Koilady
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Canada
  • Posted on: 19/1/2014 22:55
Re: Large pond filer advice please this really does need sorting. #9
I also have a great diagram of a downflow bio-filter if anyone is interested.

Your's Koily, Lorraine