Callierj34 Callierj34
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From United States
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/12/2013 2:10
Gill flukes!! #1
My fish have gill flukes and a guy told me to empty my tank half way and use vinegar. That's all he told me. And I cleaned the Decore of my tank too, but only 50% water change then vinegar? Won't the vinegar harm the fish? It's only 1 1/2 a cup of white vinegar in a 75 gal. My fish are in buckets right now. Do I need to empty tank entirely?! Thank you! :)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/12/2013 9:33
Re: Gill flukes!! #2
Don't use vinegar - it's highly acidic and will drastically change the water chemistry which would be very damaging to the fish and probably not helpful with the problem.

What makes you think they have gill flukes? You need to be sure of what the problem is before treating, but if it is gill flukes then a proper medication such as NT Labs Anti-Fluke and Wormer is the best treatment.

Before trying any treatment, let us know why you think it might be flukes and also post tank size, water parameters and a list of stock so we can see if there's any other possible cause.

Why are the fish in buckets? I suggest the first thing you do is refill the tank (with dechlorinated water) and put the fish back in.
Callierj34 Callierj34
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 8/12/2013 14:39
Re: Gill flukes!! #3
Ok, I did what you said, an I reasearced more and I think it is gill flukes. Some of the fish are scratching against some of the plants. I read a good way to treat it too is with a little aquarium salt, and a salt bath for 2 min. And is copper safe ok to use. I have a bottle of it in my closet for an emergency. Thanks! It's also a 75 gallon tank and the water perameters are Gh (180), KH (180-240), PH (7.0), NO2 (0), and NO3 (40).
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 8/12/2013 18:31
Re: Gill flukes!! #4
OK. I'd suggest going back a step or two...

US care on fish and tank sizes is firstly, greatly lagging behind the EU by a very large amount

Fish care has moved on, and in massive strides, but the US still tends to lag behind by a decade or so Just be aware of that, on this UK based forum

What makes you think fancies (are they fancies or commons?) have gill flukes? These are fairly rare IME.

Your profile here is rather empty and it would assist FK in advice and care suggestions, if we had a bit more info. Can you clarify the following first, before we suggest meds, if indeed meds are needed.

- How big is the tank (litres or UK gallons)? If unsure, post measurements

- What are your current readings for pH, GH/KH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? (this bit is very important)

- When was the tank set up?

- Did you fully cycle the tank with liquid ammonia/fish food before adding the fish (this usually takes about 4 weeks before the water is safe)

- Filter brand and size?

- What is the current stock, give exact breeds and numbers?

- How often do you undertake water changes and how much?

- Do you use water conditioner, to get rid of chlorine and chloramines?

- Have you added any fish recently?

The more info the better the site can help with this problem

Given most fish illness we see here, is connected to the above, better to know before we start to suggest action/treatments if needs be.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 8/12/2013 18:54
Re: Gill flukes!! #5
OK, you added/edited more info, after I had first typed/responded to that first thread....Here goes another to try and get to the bottom of your problems.

Quote:
It's also a 75 gallon tank and the water perameters are GH (180), KH (180-240), PH (7.0), NO2 (0), and NO3 (40)

Please answer the 'other' questions as posted, i.e. actual stock, temp and exact numbers etc of all fish, so we have a full picture first.

Also, what test kit are you using? Those look like a bit like dip tests, given no ammonia results - the most important - dip tests are notoriously inaccurate

That KH reading looks a 'bit odd too', given the tank pH/GH. Over to you!
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Callierj34 Callierj34
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 8/12/2013 21:05
Re: Gill flukes!! #6
Ok I added and edited my profile more! I have 2 dwarf gourami, 8 platy fish, 3 guppies, and 1 pleco. Water perameters: GH (180), KH (180), PH (7.0), NO2 (0-0.5), NO3 (40). We have really hard water. I have. Cascade 700 filter. Meant for 75-80. (US gallons). I treat the water with conditioner when I put new water in. (This is what I put on my profile) I hope it's enough.
Callierj34 Callierj34
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 8/12/2013 21:07
Re: Gill flukes!! #7
Found an ammonia test kit! It says (0) no new fish recently.