nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/11/2013 7:17
black with white stripe #1
I wonder if anyone can tell what fish is this from description. I couldn't get a picture.

The fish is black and white (vertical) stripe, very small. I can't tell if it's a cichlid or tetras or whatever because it was so small, Im not sure if it's grown or still juvenile.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 17/11/2013 10:34
Re: black with white stripe #2
Lol, no. More information might help... An approximate length would be useful, where did you see it, were there more or just the one.. What was it doing? Swimming, in a cave, sat on the bottom? And don't suppose you noticed fin shapes and placement, cichlids and tetras have quite different characteristics - for a start, an adipose fin (tiny fin before the tail) will be present on a tetra, but not a cichlid. Just one stripe or more? Have you tried google images to see if anything jogs your memory?
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 17/11/2013 15:27
Re: black with white stripe #3
Thanks for reply

I saw it in the shop and will visit the shop again next weekend to see it again for more information. Shop owner was away and shop assistants had no idea....

Lots of them were in the tank but I don't think they were shoaling. They were really too small to see their fin clearly but it's not a tetra. The body is not really like a cichlid though, maybe because it's still too young?

Googling shows lots of fish but most of them are marine specie, this one is freshwater
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/11/2013 17:35
Re: black with white stripe #4
I'm plucking this from the air but possibly young convict cichlid?
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 21/11/2013 13:27
Re: black with white stripe #5
I doubt so Violet
These fish are much smaller to be a convict, it's way too small to be sold if it's a convict and also it's black with white stripe, convict is likely to be white and black stripe I think