(1) 2 »
Dreamer991 Dreamer991
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/11/2013 19:26
New tank and need some advice #1
I've just bought a jewel vision 260 tank (used) which came with a efu 45 external filter the 'o' ring is damaged and been told that I can't get a replacement for it so here's my question
Which would be better an internal filter or external filter and if so which would be best (model)?
I'm pretty keyed up on most things about setting up a tank as I already had one but it was only a 60 litre tank so any tips or help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 13/11/2013 19:40
Re: New tank and need some advice #2
Hi there.

On a tank of this size, external filtration is the way to go. Personally I love Eheims. Strong German design and very efficient.

What are you planning to keep? Trops or fancies perhaps? Some fish need more filtration than others (if they are poopy) which will dictate the model/turnover you need.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Dreamer991 Dreamer991
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 13/11/2013 19:49
Re: New tank and need some advice #3
Well I was maybe going to transfer my tropical fish from my smaller tank and maybe add a little to it! At the moment I have Molly's and plateys with 2 plecs, so I'm still open to more ideas also I would like to know how much in kg would I need for gravel or sand along the bottom
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 13/11/2013 19:59
Re: New tank and need some advice #4
Oooh, OK. Plecs can certainly be very poopy. Can you confirm the breed as this will certainly have a bearing?

Fishlady here, will certainly be able to assist on guidance on filter. Her plec is about to be moved into a 6 foot tank! She's huge now.
Dreamer991 Dreamer991
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 13/11/2013 20:09
Re: New tank and need some advice #5
I believe it's a briselnose plec it's only about an inch and half long any ideas of the amount of gravel I'll need for this tank then? Thanks
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 13/11/2013 20:29
Re: New tank and need some advice #6
Ha ha, I'm not he one to ask about substrate/gravel, I ALWAYS over estimate the amount I need and end up using the spare to fill around plant pots in the back garden, to retain moisture, during the hot months.

Bristlenose get to about 4 inches, sometimes a tad more. I had a male in a previous tank and he loved his blanched veggies every day (supper time at lights out was a sinking algae wafer or two). He often liked bloodworm too if he could get it before the tetras (turkey baster proved helpful for spot feeding so he got his share )

Given the plecs I would be tempted to over filter, aim for an external that perhaps caters for a 400 litre tank. You can reduce the 'whoosh' factor by the addition of spray bars if needed. Over filtration is never a bad thing in this hobby/passion
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/11/2013 20:30
Re: New tank and need some advice #7
Depends on how deep you want it and what size gravel, but about 1 inch deep pea gravel would take around 25 kG to cover the bottom of a Juwel 260
Dreamer991 Dreamer991
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 13/11/2013 21:37
Re: New tank and need some advice #8
Thanks fish lady, and any advice on the filter situation maybe a few suggestions so I've got a few choices
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 13/11/2013 22:08
Re: New tank and need some advice #9
Hello there, as for external filter suggest a All Pond Solutions External Filter. I own one myself and found it excellent value for money and there is as great review in PFK Mag in Feb 2012.

You get a huge external canister packed fulled to the brim with foam, bio balls, carbon, ceramic rings and floss. You get a UV light built in also to kill rogue pathogens. It comes in 1000, 1400 and 2000 LPH models with the largest coming in at just under ?70.

Really good value for money IMO

CB
One who cannot love her smallest creations, cannot claim to stand before Nature - Takashi Amano

Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/11/2013 23:12
Re: New tank and need some advice #10
I know quite a few use the APS ones, but just a few quick points - yes, they're cheap, but the build quality reflects that. The flow rate is very exaggerated and the actual flow is a lot less. The UV built in is pretty much useless. There's a reason the major manufacturers don't build UV in, which is that it cannot work effectively built ino a high flow filter. It's basically a gimmick to sell more filters. UV is very unlikely to be needed on a tropical set up and has to be carefully matched to the tank size, flow rate of filtration and desired result: a uV that will kill algae won't kill bacteria and so on.

Personally I'd forget the UV and go for a decent brand that will last almost indefinitely, have easy spares availability for years and will function at much closer to spec. Eheims are my prefereed filter, but Fluval, Rena, TetraTec are good too.