Starjust Starjust
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/11/2013 19:15
Returning a Goldfish back to pond #1
Hi there,
Around a month ago one of my pond goldfish had what I self diagnosed as a severe case of Swim Bladder Infection.

I set up a 50-60 litre in the house to try and fix him and this weekend I felt I could discharge him with a clean bill of health.

Trouble is, in the month he's been inside, the outside temperature has dropped quite a bit.
I took readings at the weekend and his tank is currently at about 20 degrees whilst the pond is at about 8.5 degrees.

Is it safe to return him to the pond with such a vast temperature difference?

I'm beginning to sense he's not really happy in the tank (which is not really big enough for him to live in permanently) but don't want to shock him by putting him back in the pond.

I say pond.. It's one of those 500 litre Affinity Ponds..

Any advice greatly appreciated

Justin
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/11/2013 19:24
Re: Returning a Goldfish back to pond #2
It's a bit late in the year to put him back out now......not sure what to suggest really as he probably won't be too happy in the small tank until spring, but if it was me I'd probably not risk putting him back out now. Since he's just recovered from an infection as well I think it's too risky and he's better off grumpy in the small tank until the weather warms up again next year.

EDIT: A better compromise would be to get a big plastic storage box (a food safe one with the fork and spoon symbol) and put him in that 'til spring. You can get quite big ones, up to about 100 litres and may find you can get one that's shallower, but longer than the tank to give him more room to move. Put the filter from the small tank in there to keep the water safe.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 4/11/2013 19:34
Re: Returning a Goldfish back to pond #3
Mmm, bit late now TBH like Fishlady said

How big is fish (minus tail)? Wonder whether one of these would be more suitable whilst you over winter him?

Staples 145L crate:
http://www.staples.co.uk/storage-arch ... orage/145-litre-box-clear

Food safe so fish safe and certainly Suey used one of these as an emergency tank for quite a while before he common was transferred to a pond. I use them for emergency and QT's.

Just add a bit of d?cor/plants etc to make fishy feel as home and have some cover. Floating Elodea and Hornwort is fab for that. Doesn't need to be planted and the crates are much cheaper than tanks (you can use them afterwards too for storage!).

Edit: She beat me to it again on the crate front, lol
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/11/2013 19:39
Re: Returning a Goldfish back to pond #4
Quote:

Violet wrote:

Edit: She beat me to it again on the crate front, lol

Ah but you were on the ball from the off! I had to come back and add it as an afterthought
Starjust Starjust
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Somerset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/11/2013 19:45
Re: Returning a Goldfish back to pond #5
Thanks for the advice :)
I'll keep him indoors then :)
His body is about 5 inches from nose to start of the fins.
Too big for the 50-60 litre tank?

I'll look at those boxes and some decor, what a neat idea, will just need somewhere to put it :P

What kind of water temp would we be looking for before re-introduction to the pond in the Spring?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 4/11/2013 21:08
Re: Returning a Goldfish back to pond #6
Ok, at that size, the tank you have him in now is too wee, to over winter him. He's going to grow, or *should* grow some more in the interim, in a bigger set up.

He will defo need the plastic storage crates, if you want to keep it cheaper, than tanks.

Most commons are re-housed summer time (spring, we still have temp dips and ground frosts, not ideal). The 145 litre crate as mentioned would be great
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti