Asumel Asumel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/11/2013 19:10
Future Reference #1
I would like to ask if people posting data on this forum would reference the data that they are quoting. this would allow for less confusion and would allow other to read the information themselves?
A place to post information from papers or other sources could maybe be added as a few of the Mods don't think this should be in general information? as I would like to keep bridging the gap between the science and the hobby.

Lastly I would like to make an apology to those who I have been debating with, as it got a bit out of had towards the end there. But as you can imagine being told you are wrong when you are both arguing for the same side can be frustrating.It evidentially was misunderstandings on both sides. and I accept my part in it.
no hard feelings I hope.
Eat, SCUBA, Fish.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/11/2013 22:04
Re: Future Reference #2
@ Asumel- not sure any newbies post links to any papers (scientific - you mention) at all.

FK aims to give good, sound advice to newbies based on logical sound advice and years of experience instead. This avoids fish death.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 3/11/2013 23:27
Re: Future Reference #3
Links to papers and such like tend only to get posted in the thread in question. That doesn't mean people can't post them elsewhere, but generally if they're linked to in a thread then that puts them in the context they were being discussed in and helps anyone picking up the thread later on find them and take them in the spirit they were intended Personally I think it works well just to keep papers/links etc. to the thread in question If you have something you want to discuss then everyone is free to start threads and post papers etc. If such things benefit someone else's thread then again, it's reasonable to add to that thread. I think it's important to be respectful of other people's threads though, if the OP is asking a specific question or needs specific help then it doesn't always help to go off on even a slight tangent

Bear in mind too that anything being discussed should be done in a such a way as to leave no room for confusion or misinterpretation on the part of any casual observer. i'm afraid there are always those who will twist information to find the answer they want and we are cautious here of anything that may allow someone to distort the 'evidence' and set off down a road liable to lead to problems. Equally we need to be aware that newcomers to the hobby may well have seen all sorts of guff dressed up as gospel and be completely confused, so we need our information to be reliable, valid and straightforward

I'm sure you'll appreciate that not everyone will reference a paper for every point they make, and I must admit I don't relish the idea of Harvard referencing every post I make I won't be able to find a paper for everything I say, and some of it I don't think I need to as it's accepted that some things 'are' and some things 'aren't'. If the situation warrants it then feel free to add links etc. to any posts, it all aids learning in general.

Debate is all well and good, and ideally will serve to improve understanding and knowledge all round I don't think it's unreasonable of FK to ask that debate is undertaken in what can only be described as a grown up fashion. There's never any need to get personal for example. There are ways and means of communicating things, and this applies to everyone. I know this is obvious but sometimes it gets overlooked - the written word suffers from the lack of body language and tone of voice, things can be taken in a way they weren't intended, so it's doubly important to consider how the written word will come across
It's Not Just A Fish
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/11/2013 9:37
Re: Future Reference #4
Asumel, it's a novel idea but flawed.

My statement (above) itself is an example. I have no reference to it, but the fact is, it is true.

That aside, using your idea:

Fish are very nice to eat. (except Koi) I found that on a page which you can see CLICK ME

The page is on the web so, according to you, it must be true.

(As you may have guessed, I made that that page myself "ten minutes" ago) Yes its obvious its not true, but my point still stands, in that just because you can show reference to something does not mean it is true.
Taking it one step further, 99.9% of forums are just a collection of opinions. But that doesn't mean they are true or false, which brings me back to where I started
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/11/2013 11:56
Re: Future Reference #5
I don't think the point was that if its on the Internet its true... The request was that scientific data should be referenced if its quoted from.
There is nothing wrong with that apart from most of the subjects that scientific papers are written on have very little to do with aquarium keeping.. So its not really practical to do on a general basis.
I do think its a good thing to find and discuss the subjects that are more relevant to aspects of the hobby, this should only be encouraged, as new fish keepers don't become more knowledgable without more information, we seem to attract more new fish keepers, but that doesn't mean we don't need more knowledgable members to help the new ones.. We do, very much and its refreshing to have people who do want to discuss more advanced topics rather than forget that there is a more scientific side to it.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/11/2013 13:14
Re: Future Reference #6
Quote:

Coralline wrote:
I don't think the point was that if its on the Internet its true... The request was that scientific data should be referenced if its quoted from.

Fair point.

Q) Where will Joe Bloggs find said information? (e.g. scientific data)

A) On the internet.

I rest my case.

Footnote: You can not publish instinct or your own knowledge* so you can not point to where you got said information.

* If you really wanted to, you could write everything you know about a given subject then publish it.......on the web.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.