• From Northamptonshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/11/2013 19:39
is this a severum? #1
?

Attach file:

jpg  (388.50 KB)
16501_527554ba96ead.jpg 1600X1200 px
1Chub 3roach 7minnows 1 ten spine stickle back 6 three spine stickle backs 2tench 1weather loach
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/11/2013 21:03
Re: is this a severum? #2
I really can't tell from that pic - it's blurred, wrong way up and has a blue cast. But it doesn't look much like a severum from what I can see there..... looks too long and slender, but that may be camera angle etc. Can you get a better pic?

Here are a couple of shots of my Rotkeil Severums as juveniles and as adults to compare. Green/Gold/Red sevs will look a little different in clolour, but basic shape and markings will be the same.

Juvenile Rotkeil Severums with Clown Loach:

Original Image

Juvenile male Rotkeil Severum:

Original Image

Adult male Rotkeil Severum:

Original Image
finnipper finnipper
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 2/11/2013 21:34
Re: is this a severum? #3
I would guess that it is a Cryptoheros sp. of some sort. Possibly Cryptoheros spilurus.

Definitely not a Severum.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 7/3/2015 6:11
Re: is this a severum? #4
OMG!!!! I didn't know Rockteil Severum Juvenile look like that!!!! I see them most of the time in my lfs!!!

That's it Im getting those fish!!! lol

Can you provide some information about them please FL? Such as Water para, temp, tank size,....

Thanks and sorry for thread hijack :P
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/3/2015 11:38
Re: is this a severum? #5
Word of warning Nathan....juveniles of the ordinary green and turquoise severums look much the same and the red head/neck that gives the Rotkeil its name doesn't develop untol theyre 3 or more inches long. Rotkeils are more sought after and more expensive than other strains of Heros so will usually be clearly labelled.

Care needs are a minimum 120cm x 45cm x45cm tank, approximately 250 litres, soft water gH up to 8 and pH 6-7, temperature 22-29c. They can be kept with other SA cichlids, larger tetras, cories, plecs and other robust fish who share their requirements.

As cichlids go, they're pretty peaceful (although a single male may get nasty). They grow quickly to 8-10 inches (20-30cms). They breed easily and are excellent parents, but if you wanted to breed them you'd either need to buy a group of juvies and let a pair form naturally or by an adult mated pair.

There's not much point planting a tank for severums as they will eat just about any plant in the tank. I'm tryin g tougher plants now like Java Fern, Anubias and Bolbitis as they may leave these alone.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 7/3/2015 15:57
Re: is this a severum? #6
Thanks for the information FL :D I will check the fish more carefully. They look so much alike with the fish in your juvenile picture