(1) 2 »
Ozone Ozone
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Shropshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/10/2013 18:16
Mbu Puffer fish #1
Hi guys I'm new to this forum and I am thinking about getting an Mbu puffer, now before everyone asks I am far from a fish keeping novice I have a few tanks at the moment including a 150ltr marine and a 350ltr piranha tank... I know how big these fish get and what sort of tank they need but I would love some advice on feeding/water conditions also behaviour.

I would be buying a young one around 5/7 inches and it would be housed in a 200ltr tank for the 1st 5/6mounths (After xmas I will be buying a new tank) the tank has been set up for around a year now and it's running an external fluval 205 pump and a Phillips water purifier. I have been keeping 2electric blue jack dempseys in there untill now.

Any advice on where to purchase one would be great also :) my local Store has one at the moment for sale at ?129.99 and it's around 5 inches is this a good price?

Thanks Adam :)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/10/2013 18:39
Re: Mbu Puffer fish #2
Haven't kept one myself as its requirements are way too much for me to contemplate - 8ft x 3ft x 3ft tank when adult and potentially just the one fish is not worth it for me. There's a good profile/care sheet here on Seriously Fish which is a site we always recommend as being accurate in fish requirements.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 14/10/2013 19:13
Re: Mbu Puffer fish #3
Wow, can only add one thing to this...

Post pics when done

Would love to see the tank all set up!
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 14/10/2013 19:31
Re: Mbu Puffer fish #4
Also, wow!
Would love an mbu... So cute!

The one thing I will say is diet is so important for these guys, shellfish should be fed whole, so the beak (which continuously grows) is worn down efficiently to prevent problems. If it grows too long, the fish will not be able to feed itself, can't imagine trying to get a vet to sort that out!

Good luck with this, I second the request for pics when available!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Ozone Ozone
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Shropshire
  • Posted on: 15/10/2013 9:03
Re: Mbu Puffer fish #5
Thanks for the advice :) just need to be 100% confident before I buy that's all it's going to be a huge commitment but worth it!

I will post some pictures when I have it all done and ready to go !
finnipper finnipper
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 15/10/2013 14:11
Re: Mbu Puffer fish #6
Recommending a 36" wide tank for a 30" fish. Does that sound right to everyone?
Asumel Asumel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 15/10/2013 15:26
Re: Mbu Puffer fish #7
From what I know it normally grows to around 26" in length so that would give 10" of room extra, which too be fair still sounds on the small side for me. I would be tempted to do a 5foot tank.
Eat, SCUBA, Fish.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/10/2013 16:30
Re: Mbu Puffer fish #8
They're recommending 8 feet long and 3 feet wide but say typically they don't reach 30", just a bit over 24". Given they're slow moving fish I reckon that's do-able as an absolute minimum.

A good gauge for length, width and height of suitable tanks for larger species' is 6x body length long and 2x body length wide and high which would be an incredible 12ft long by 4 feet wide and high for a 24 inch fish, but like most stocking guidance there's a need to adjust that for more or less active fish. For instance Bala Sharks get to about a foot long and really need an 8ft x 2ft x 2ft as they're fast swimming fish who need the length, where Oscars get to the same length but a single Oscar is OK in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft as they're considerably less active.
Asumel Asumel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 15/10/2013 16:49
Re: Mbu Puffer fish #9
Quote:

Fishlady wrote:
They're recommending 8 feet long and 3 feet wide but say typically they don't reach 30", just a bit over 24". Given they're slow moving fish I reckon that's do-able as an absolute minimum.

Sorry should have made it clear, I was thinking width wise, I like to think of a little swimming back space as well as that's like putting one of us in a really long thin corridor.
Eat, SCUBA, Fish.
finnipper finnipper
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 15/10/2013 18:47
Re: Mbu Puffer fish #10
I'm quite surprised after reading message after message telling folk that their tank isn't big enough and with the big fish campaign being promoted on here, that this is even considered as being anywhere near adequate.

The absolute minimum for the width should be 2x the fish's adult length, and lets be honest even that wouldn't offer very much for the fish's quality of life. The slow moving argument has never been used when accessing the tank size required for fancy goldfish so why is it being used for this fish?

Unless these and similar fish can be housed properly, i.e where they can exhibit natural behaviour they really shouldn't be kept. Remember, these fish are similar in size to most koi!!! In my opinion 1200 gall is the absolute minimum.