(1) 2 3 »
Monitor Monitor
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/8/2013 22:21
Breeding plecos #1
Iv today found out that my 2 red gibbiceps have had young only one as made it but I just wanted to know if anyone els as had this happen as my tank is not set up for what they need to breed its a mixed cichlid 55 gallon tank

Note from moderator
I've removed the photo you attached as the copyright on the image will belong to the eBay seller whose listing it was taken from.

We love to see photos of our members' fish and tanks, but if you need to show us someone else's pics from another site please use a link, like this, instead:

Baby Gibbiceps Plecos, eBay

~ Fishlady
finnipper finnipper
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 17/8/2013 22:45
Re: Breeding plecos #2
Are you absolutely certain it is the Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps which have bred?
Normally a pair isn't mature until they reach 10" and then to breed they build a nest which consists of a tunnel dug out of the mud of a river bank and which extends for up to a metre in length.
They also lay about 1000 - 3000 eggs on average.
It would be very rare indeed for those fish to breed in anything less than a tropical pond.
Well done if it is those though.
Monitor Monitor
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 17/8/2013 22:59
Re: Breeding plecos #3
Yeah they are the only plecos iv got in my tank I just don't know how they have breed as its coral iv got in the bottom of my tank don't know how many they had but iv found 3 in the tank but it is a mixed cichlid tank
finnipper finnipper
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 17/8/2013 23:07
Re: Breeding plecos #4
You should take loads of photos of both adults, surviving fry and tank. Then take a full set of water test and make a note of all the details that you can remember.
With all that in place let others know so that they might be able to emulate the spawning.
Monitor Monitor
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 17/8/2013 23:11
Re: Breeding plecos #5
I would be happy to pass on all i know and find out but on thing that sticks to mind is they did spend a lot of time around my live plants don't know if that as anything todo with it....?
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 17/8/2013 23:28
Re: Breeding plecos #6
Sounds interesting - can you get a pic of the baby at all? Would be great to see the little guy Any idea how old the baby is? What else do you have in the tank? I know you said mixed cichlids but a bit more detail would be interesting Water parameters would also be interesting as finnipper mentions, definitely try and keep a record of all the information
It's Not Just A Fish
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/8/2013 23:34
Re: Breeding plecos #7
Quick question - I see you've uploaded a lot of pics - are they your fish from the same tank?

EDIT: Just seen some of them have copyright notices on them. Can you clarify which of the photos you uploaded are actually yours? Any that aren't your own (i.e. any that were not taken by you) will have to be removed I'm afraid as we'd be breaching the copyright of their owners if we let them stay on this site.
Monitor Monitor
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 17/8/2013 23:41
Re: Breeding plecos #8
Yeah I'll get a few photos on tomoz sometime no i don't know how old he is as I run a sump so don't mess about with the water that much find its better for the fish ill make a full water check in the morn and post them as well iv also got 4 rams 4 lemons 4 keyhole 2 pseudotropheus red 4 firemouths and 4 sheepsheads cichlids
Monitor Monitor
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 17/8/2013 23:42
Re: Breeding plecos #9
No some are fish that I'm after for my next tank if you can help in finding any plz let me know
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/8/2013 0:04
Re: Breeding plecos #10
Afraid I've had to remove almost all the images as they were from other sites (including the Gibby). Can you confirm all the rest are actually photos taken by you of your own fish please?

Can you get an actual photo of the baby and upload it for us as given you have a rather strange mix of fish (incompatible water parameters etc ) and an environment not conducive to breeding for this species I'll be very surprised if your plecs have bred and it may be the offspring of something else in your tank.