yugi yugi
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/7/2013 9:54
Goldfish help #1
hi have a question as its confused me as to why this fish has died :S
we have a tank that has just two goldfish in, the previous fish we had lived 10 plus years, after they past we didnt have any for awhile but then ended up getting one from a fair (which is bad i know!) and from a pet store. we have had them both nearly 3 years ones grey (pet store one) and ones gold and white (fair one)
now my mother decided to buy some snails and a mussel for the tank too and some plants to go in it, the grey fish just kept eating the plant and the gold one wasnt bothered by it at all.
the next morning the grey had gone really light in colour just overnight, so we took the plants out, but the grey was constantly at the top as if gulping for air whereas the gold was just swimming about normally
it gradually got worse so changed the grey to another tank incase there was something affecting it in the tank it was in, it perked up abit but afew hours later it passed away
now ive tried to research what could have caused it as i was thinking it could be eating to much of the plant but alot of sites say the goldfish wouldnt eat until it will have eaten way too much :S
then i thought maybe ammonia levels in the tank because of the snails but the other goldfish is fine and healthy
or could it be something else but that worries me it could affect the other goldfish any ideas/help?
yugi yugi
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 29/7/2013 9:55
Re: Goldfish help #2
oh and after changing the tank with the grey it went back the next night being dark again
yugi yugi
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 29/7/2013 12:01
Re: Goldfish help #3
plus the fish are fed well so it wasnt starving my other goldfish as stated have live 10 years plus so obviously not doing things wrongly im just wondering what could have caused it
IckleFish IckleFish
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 29/7/2013 17:08
Re: Goldfish help #4
Can you provide some more details of your tank?

Aren't Mussels salt water creatures?

The gasping sounds to me like a lack of oxygen in the water.
finnipper finnipper
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 29/7/2013 17:53
Re: Goldfish help #5
Fresh water mussels are filter feeders and it is unlikely that one would get enough food in an aquarium or bowl. The mussel won't tolerate medications of any sort and they need very clean well oxygenated water.

From what you have said I suspect that the mussel has died and caused either the ammonia or nitrite to spike as well as lowering the oxygen level in the water and this in turn has killed the fish.

Fish are individuals like us and they have individual tolerances, just because some fish appear to be fine doesn't mean that there isn't a water quality issue. The only way to be sure is to test the water or to take a sample to your local fish shop and have them test it for ammonia and nitrite and pH. This should be done as soon as possible.
yugi yugi
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 29/7/2013 18:35
Re: Goldfish help #6
ah the man at the aquarium shop said a mussel would be good to filter the water, i dont think its died as its shut (think they open when they die?) im thinking it was the plant as the grey was going crazy eating it but the gold wasnt bothered with it at all.
so if that man at the shop was wrong about the mussel, maybe he gave me the wrong plant?
finnipper finnipper
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 29/7/2013 18:51
Re: Goldfish help #7
It is very unlikely that the plant had anything to do with this, goldfish naturally eat a large variety of aquatic plants. Plants which are toxic normally have a very bitter taste to deter the fish (and other things) from eating them.

Generally speaking it isn't a good idea to take advice solely from someone who is profiting from making a sale.

Mussels are filter feeders but they won't improve water quality and they have very specific requirements and they aren't suitable to be mixed with goldfish.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 29/7/2013 21:02
Re: Goldfish help #8
A proper aquarium filter is best for filtering the water - good job the shop did not recommend a baleine whale
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 29/7/2013 22:31
Re: Goldfish help #9
Hi there, ooh lot's of questions lets hope FK can help

Quote:
we have a tank that has just two goldfish in, the previous fish we had lived 10 plus years

Common/single tails are pond fish and are not suited to tanks. Given they get to over a foot long, they are outside pond fish only. Fancy goldfish get smaller about 8 inches or so but put most of this growth on in years 1 and 2. 180/200 litre tanks with external filtration will house 2 mid - long term.

Big difference in thriving as opposed to surviving.

Quote:
after they past we ended up getting one from a fair (which is bad i know!) and from a pet store.

Commons or fancies? Please clarify?

Quote:
we have had them both nearly 3 years ones grey (pet store one) and ones gold and white (fair one)

Both should be more or less fully grown. Stunting can occur of course, if fish are kept in too small a tank, please clarify.

Click here: http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm

Quote:
now my mother decided to buy some snails and a mussel for the tank too and some plants to go in it, the grey fish just kept eating the plant and the gold one wasnt bothered by it at all.

Snails - MTS, good for tanks, more 'usually' associated with trop tanks though. Keep the substrate turned over. Given goldies hoover ability, snails are not usual/common.

Mussel's in fish tanks IME, as filter feeders, tend to sit, die and then rot! A big no-no IME but up to you.

Quote:
the next morning the grey had gone really light in colour just overnight

Fish that pale - usually related to inappropriate pH/stress issues. This can kill fish and new stock.

Tank water pH and GH
Tap water pH and GH (test tap water pH after left standing for 24 hours)

[so we took the plants out, but the grey was constantly at the top as if gulping for air[/quote]

Plants produce o2 during the day and co2 at night. No need to remove plants at night though if you have a good external filter which deals with the nitrogen cycle effectively

As for the other points:

Quote:
I've tried to research what could have caused it as i was thinking it could be eating to much of the plant but alot of sites say the goldfish wouldnt eat until it will have eaten way too much

Apologies, not sure what you mean. My 2 goldies eat loads. Sinking pellets, a huge amount of fresh veg and fruit weighted down, algae wafers and frozen cubes too.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti