Chris705705 Chris705705
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/7/2013 9:12
Crayfish advice?? #1
Hi all!

I've been wanting to keep crayfish for a while as they look like interesting little critters.

Just need some advice if possible about starting up!
below i've listed a few questions and if anyone could help in any of them i'd be very grateful!

first of all what kind of tank would I need? my understanding would be cold water with a good filter? (if someone could point me in the right direction that'd be great)

2) tank content? again, I'm assuming they'd need a few holes to hide in etc but anything else they'd need?

3) food? I know they eat plantation but some people say give them a small fish once a month others advice against it??

4) other fish... if I was to throw in a few goldfish with my crayfish, is it likely to be attacked?

5) the long-shot... anyone know of any good retailers that stocks these remarkable little chaps in the Harlow, Essex area?

if anyone can think of anything else I should know then please speak now of forever hold your peas.

Thanks in advance,
Chris!!! :)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/7/2013 9:21
Re: Crayfish advice?? #2
Hi

Our care sheet here has most of the information you need.
You can't keep fish with these as they will be eaten.

Regarding feeding live fish to them, this is not necessary and as such would be a contravention of the Animal Welfare Act. The act is clear that live vertebrates may not be used as food.
Chris705705 Chris705705
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 23/7/2013 9:38
Re: Crayfish advice?? #3
arr ok, well that answers that then!

Thank you for the information, I assume its the same for the legal species?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/7/2013 9:55
Re: Crayfish advice?? #4
Crayfish vary in size and requirements so have a look for care sheets for the species you want to keep on the net. As far as keeping fish with them and feeding live fish is concerned, the same applies - not recommended!
Chris705705 Chris705705
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 23/7/2013 9:57
Re: Crayfish advice?? #5
ok thanks :)