dismalscientist dismalscientist
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 25/6/2013 22:17
Eeeek! Fry! What to do? #1
So I was feeding my fish just now and realised the epic amounts of dirt near my panduros' cave was actually teeny tiny fry!

I feel super guilty as I no doubt disposed of some on Sunday doing my water changes :(

Anyhoo - what should I do?! Complete panic has taken over! Along with tremendous excitement of course!

Any advice would be appreciated! I did a quick search but I'm on my phone that only lets me use Bing as a search engine and it's pretty pants; my "help panduro fry" came up with little useful info.

Thanks folks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/6/2013 22:34
Re: Eeeek! Fry! What to do? #2
Congratulations!

Best to leave the parents to it and hope for the best. You can crush some food into powder, mix with a bit of tank water a squirt it near the fry with a syringe or turkey baster, but you'll probably find if you feed something easy to break up like flake that Mum will chew it and break it up then spit it out among the babies.

Don't be alarmed if you see food coning out through her gills too, it's normal. If you can manage to hatch some brine shrimp that's the ideal food for baby cichlids, but they'll do OK on powdered adult food too. In a community tank though you may find not many, if any make it. Panduros are excellent parents though (well the grandparents are ).
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/6/2013 12:00
Re: Eeeek! Fry! What to do? #3
Hi FL!

She is a most excellent mother it would seem, she doesn't let them get too far from the cave; when they wander off she pops them in her mouth and brings them back. It's absolutely amazing, I'm completely addicted to watching them!

I've uploaded a video to SkyDrive if you want to see:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid= ... &authkey=!AOaBxId78z6PKrM
Sorry the video is horizontal, I can't figure out how to change it!

The reason I noticed them was I saw Mrs Panduro spitting out her food. Then I noticed the 'dirt'. Then the dirt moved!! It is so exciting!! She seems to be feeding them well enough but I'll try powdering some food too.

I can see how this is going to be really hard - I want them to make it, but then if they do, what to do with them? I will just see what happens, but I think I will be very sad to see them disappearing :(
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/6/2013 15:13
Re: Eeeek! Fry! What to do? #4
Will watch with interest in a day or two when our replacement router arrives. Currently having to connect via 'phone so will wait for broadband to be back on main pc and watch properly

Their parents managed to save 5 babies who grew to adult size in a 260 litre tank despite having Angels in there
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/6/2013 15:23
Re: Eeeek! Fry! What to do? #5
Oh no! I'd be lost without proper broadband connection! We have BT broadband and it's shocking, will be changing as soon as the contract is up.

So far Mrs Panduro is keeping every other fish miles away, with the assistance of Mr Panduro. I will keep photographing and videoing so you can see how they are getting on :)

I think we have to give them proper names... Will get thinking :)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 26/6/2013 15:28
Re: Eeeek! Fry! What to do? #6
I shall have to go and tell mine they have grandchildren
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 27/6/2013 18:16
Re: Eeeek! Fry! What to do? #7
Awww the grandchildren are disappearing :( There were two dozen yesterday, today down to around 10. I know it's too be expected but it's still a bit sad!

What's amusing is that all the other fish are kept in the opposite corner of the tank, it looks really amusing! (although not for the imprisoned fish I'm sure!)
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 27/6/2013 19:25
Re: Eeeek! Fry! What to do? #8
Hmmmm the culprits are the cories. They are swooping over in a group, raiding the panduro camp then scarpering. Mean cories!

I think that suggests they need more coverage... Hopefully the new plants will fill out but I'll pick up some new ones anyway
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 27/6/2013 20:21
Re: Eeeek! Fry! What to do? #9
It's a shame, but they do struggle to keep them in a community tank - and yours are first time parents too so still learning