(1) 2 »
Bealyb Bealyb
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/6/2013 12:01
Marine tank #1
Hi can anybody advise me on setting up my 9 x2x3.the tank is going in the wall and need ideas on the best base to sit it on.ply is what I was thinkin would do the job but open to other suggestions.thanks Dave
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/6/2013 22:47
Re: Marine tank #2
Hi,
Sorry we haven't got back to you sooner, are the measurements you have in feet? I assume so but just checking.
You can use a layer of plywood, but not on its own, I would recommend having a layer of thin foam/ polystyrene type material in contact with the glass to protect from any tiny bits that could crack the glass when tank is filled.
Hth
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Bealyb Bealyb
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 26/6/2013 6:50
Re: Marine tank #3
Thanks gill for the advice.researched for this tank for a long time now and yeh your right it is a 9 footer.if poss could you give me any suggestions on live rock? I am happy with how my budget is going so far but scared myself with the fact my tank is 1400 litres and at a push would get away with 150 kg of rock and at around ?8 a kg it's a massive expense.is this the case if so is 2nd hand rock ok or half live half false.just don't know.have read that you really don't want to add it in dribs and drabs over a period of time.want to start my tank once full of water very slowly so maybe can creep and go with rock.help cheers😳
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 26/6/2013 20:46
Re: Marine tank #4
Hiya,
Yep, you can add the rock in stages, you can also mix the cured rock with uncured rock, but these will prolong the initial stage of keeping it fish free, the only thing you don't want to do us be adding large amounts if new rock, cured or uncured when you have fish or coral stock in your tank, because fluctuations are likely to occur with the nitrogen cycle in the tank. To be honest I would do it as funds allow, you will still have a lot of interesting things to watch with just rock in there! It also gives you a good chance to make sure there's no unwelcome critters hitch hiking in on the rock before you add anything you have bought! I had a suspected bobbit worm when I first set up my tank, had a few things disappear before I finally spotted it and had to isolate the piece of rock he was living in, a long process of elimination! Also ended up with a pistol shrimp, which was quite a cool inhabitant! So good things turn up as well as bad!
second hand rock can be ok if you can be sure no medications have been used in the tank it has been in, can leach out for a long time after it was actually used, which can affect sensitive inhabitants.
Remember to take lots of photos as you are setting it up, good to see it evolve from an empty space!
:)
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Bealyb Bealyb
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 27/6/2013 17:24
Re: Marine tank #5
Thanks again for advice.will prob go down the route of a few pieces of live and rest uncured less chance of unwanted critters like you say(would rather add critters I want).cant wait to get the hole in wall prob in around a month and get all the gubbins done in garage.researched for 2 years now and took 2 years to talk the wife round😜Dave
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 28/6/2013 11:18
Re: Marine tank #6
Lol, I don't think any amount of persuasion would get my other half to agree to a 9foot tank... I can only dream!
Would be interesting to hear how this project progresses, you could start a new thread specially for documenting what you are doing at each stage?
Keep us posted!
:)
Gill

Original Image

Bealyb Bealyb
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 28/6/2013 18:16
Re: Marine tank #7
Will start a thread when the work starts(although your the first person I have spoke to on a forum.so will research what a thread is😃).what you reakon for that size of tank I was going to start with one mp40 and then get another once tank has cycled.would 2 be enough or would you recommend more(maybe 2 more cheaper ones).cheers bealy🐳
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 28/6/2013 20:42
Re: Marine tank #8
What will be the final volume of the tank? you will need between 15-20 times the volume for good level of circulation, but you want a more or less consistent flow around the rock rather than more in one area. 3 is a good number to divide the flow nicely, don't have to all be the same so can do it to suit your budget, just split the circulation needed between the three sources, roughly the same flow rate if possible though. I had two power heads plus a large external filter on my 4ft when it was set up, but low fish levels and mainly coral so I didn't use a skimmer. Have recently shrunk the tank but still two smaller power heads and external filter for extra flow and chemical filtration. One set low in the tank, behind the rock and the othe two at either end directing the flow across but slightly to the front of the tank.
Thread is the same as a topic or post. just click on new topic button at the top. :)
Gill

Original Image

Bealyb Bealyb
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 28/6/2013 21:28
Re: Marine tank #9
1408 litres is total tank volume.top tip thanks with the power head lower down.am going to put one either side but makes sense to have one(maybe two cos of area)sorting out potential dead spots around bottom of the rocks.cheers.bealy
Bealyb Bealyb
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 29/6/2013 10:16
Re: Marine tank #10
Hi gill bealy here again.just looking at dsb's unsure which way to go with it again cost with my area at 4 inch would cost around ?1000 if all live sand.suppose I could use only a bit of live sand and use other sand(if poss to be seeded by live).not sure weather dsb is the way to go.maybe have it in my sump but what to put in main?on the rock front i am looking at dry rock around?2 kg(mixed with a few live)which I know would take a while for tank to cycle but happy with that.it would give me chance to get to grips with the chemistry side of things.any thoughts thanks