pleasehelp pleasehelp
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/5/2013 18:45
Help! I used too much water conditioner! (King British Safe Guard) #1
Help! I'm looking after my housemate's fish, he asked me to change the water as the goldfish looked sickly, and I bought some King British Safe Guard water conditioner even though he doesn't use conditioner - so I know it was an unconditioned tank before I started.

I did a 30% change yesterday and put in what I thought was a bit under the full amount for a 20-ish gallon tank (90cm W x 35cm D x 24cm, but quite a bit of scenery in the bottom) yesterday. Today I did another 30% change and rounded up to make up for yesterday, and then realised the 1ml pipette provided with the bottle actually sucks up 2ml of liquid! I have TWICE as much as I should have in the tank!

So I'm going to do another change, but do you think a 30% change with no conditioner would be enough, or do I need to take half the water out? I think that would be very stressful for the sick fish so I'm keen to avoid it...

Thanks in advance for any help. Inhabitants: goldfish, 2 weather loaches. I don't have a water tester and I can't buy one as it's 7pm on bank holiday Sunday!

(Does the 24-hour gap between doses make it any better? I don't know how fast the conditioner dissipates)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/5/2013 18:50
Re: Help! I used too much water conditioner! (King British Safe Guard) #2
Hi and welcome,

Don't worry, no need to panic! Water conditioner is a very safe product and the double dose won't have done any harm
pleasehelp pleasehelp
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 26/5/2013 18:59
Re: Help! I used too much water conditioner! (King British Safe Guard) #3
Thank you very much for your post! Does that mean no water change at all is needed? If I can avoid one completely then that would be good for the nerves of the poor fish.

I noticed that the pipette was sucking past the 1ml marking and into the bulb section, but I thought it was meant to do that... then I began to have doubts and tested it against a kitchen measuring cylinder.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 26/5/2013 19:12
Re: Help! I used too much water conditioner! (King British Safe Guard) #4
You should be fine without doing another water change Although if the fish is looking a bit ropey he might like a small one anyway, if there was anything in the water (prior to original water change) making him feel ill a water change will dilute it a little
It's Not Just A Fish
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/5/2013 19:12
Re: Help! I used too much water conditioner! (King British Safe Guard) #5
No, you don't need to change any more. As long as if you do need another change you get the measurement right next time there shouldn't be a problem at all. It would only be a real issue if it happened repeatedly many times, and even then would not be likely to cause much harm.
pleasehelp pleasehelp
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 26/5/2013 19:22
Re: Help! I used too much water conditioner! (King British Safe Guard) #6
Thank you very much, Fishlady, you've been a brilliant help, and such a fast reply too

edit: sorry, thanks suey2 too!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 26/5/2013 19:42
Re: Help! I used too much water conditioner! (King British Safe Guard) #7
You're welcome Any other problems or questions and you know where we are