(1) 2 3 4 »
ashleighgibbs2701 ashleighgibbs2701
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Middlesex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/5/2013 16:56
goldfish has fungus and swimming into air bubbles! #1
I bought 3 goldfish in Feb, 1 died suddenly back in March. Apart from that the other two seemed ok except one has got alot bigger than the other! Then last week I noticed the smaller ones tail was frayed the next day was even worse! She has black marks too but has for a while. I ordered finrot meds which i added to the tank on Thursday when i also did a 20% water change. The tail then had fungus (cotton wool substance) but still seems to be working. she was hiding behind the filter and the normal fish was just swimming in the other corner at the top. the filter also blows out bubbles which for the last 2 days the ill one has just been swimming into face on?!! Im so worried that im killing her slowly but dont know what else to do!! Please can someone advise asap!!
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 19/5/2013 17:24
Re: goldfish has fungus and swimming into air bubbles! #2
Two photos ive just taken - the fungus tail swimming into the bubbles and then the other fish who i have just noticed a big red mark on?! The mark seems to be inside though! Please help.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/5/2013 18:36
Re: goldfish has fungus and swimming into air bubbles! #3
Hi

I'm afraid your photos haven't oaded. If you want to attach them in a post, you can only attach one per post so maybe try that.

However, some more information will help us to help your fish.
Can you post back with the size of the tank (litres/gallons or length width and height), type of filter, how often you change any water and how much each time, how often you clean the filter and how do you do it? If you have a test kit please test the tank water now for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH and post the results.

From your description of the problems it sounds like the fish have a combination of problems which are all related to poor water quality: frayed fins = fin rot, black marks = ammonia burns, red marks under skin - nitrite poisoning, struggling for oxygen = nitrite poisoning, fungus = infection due to lowered immunity brought on by the other problems.

Come back with the information requested and we'll work out a plan of action to try and make them more comfortable.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 19/5/2013 19:22
Re: goldfish has fungus and swimming into air bubbles! #4
Will try uploading again..

Ok in response to your questions;
The tank was a 19 litre starter tank from pets at home which came with a bog standard filter in a plain white box. The filter also blows out a stream of bubbles from the top.
-We do a 20% water change every 2 weeks and clean the plastic plants in the original water. We tried a cyphon but it was rubbish! We had to clean th gravel aswell last time so removed the fish but still but the 80% original water back in after. We add tapsafe to the new water.
- we clean filter every 3 to 4 weeks in original water taking it all apart and sponges out. We put new sponges in last time too.
- I added Finrot and fungus meds in on Thurs too. The healthier fish with red marks now has signs of jagged tail since adding meds!
Test results..Cl ok, Ph 7.2/7.6, KH 7.6-8, GH 16, NO2 0, NO3 between 50 and 100!!!

Any help and advice greatly received
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 19/5/2013 19:24
Re: goldfish has fungus and swimming into air bubbles! #5
It wont let me upload the pics..can i email them somewhere instead?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/5/2013 20:05
Re: goldfish has fungus and swimming into air bubbles! #6
Hi

OK. The big problem here is that the tank is just way too small and so is the filter. Goldfish grow very big and they produce a lot of waste so they need very big tanks and very powerful filters. 19L isn't really big enough even for tiny fish - it's the size of tank we'd usually recommend just for shrimps or snails to be honest.

What this means is that the water is of poor quality and this has caused ammonia burns and all the other problems. In addition, water changes for a normally stocked, properly sized and filtered tank need to be around 25% every week. In a tiny tank like yours you'd need to be changing probably 25% every day to give them a chance of surviving short term, but long term they need a lot more water and a better filter. Have a look at this article which shows you the size of tank they are going to need.

Your test results don't show ammonia, which is probably the most important of all, and it looks from the parameters you've listed as though they are paper test strips. Apart from not testing the ammonia level, these aren't very accurate so it would be a good idea to get a liquid based kit like this one, which is cheaper on eBay than in the shops. The nitrate level you have is very high, which is because not enough water is being changed.

I would imagine the shop told you the tank was suitable? Unfortunately this happens a lot and I'm afraid there's just no way a tank so small is going to be safe for goldfish for more than a week or two when they're babies. If it isn't practical to get a large tank right away, you can house them in a large food-safe storage crate like this 145 litre Really Useful Box from Staples. Add a good internal filter like this and your fish will be in a much better position to recover from their problems.

The other thing you could consider if they are common single tail goldfish rather than fancy types with a double tail is to find someone with a pond who can take them. Single tails are better suited to ponds than tanks as they reach up to a foot long and need a lot of swimming space. It's the right time of year to move them outdoors but you'll need to treat the fungus and fin rot first and that will mean daily water changes to assist in healing them.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 19/5/2013 21:25
Re: goldfish has fungus and swimming into air bubbles! #7
Hi

Thank you so much for your advice. I am absolutely fuming as the store told me I could have 3 goldfish in this tank!!! I cannot really afford a massive tank and I dont know anyone with a pond either.

Do you think I could be okay with a 75 litre for now? One of the fish is tiny. I actually kept a goldfish i win at a fair when i was a child in a fishbowl for 7 years with no filter and it had no ailments lol. i have just done a 25% water change and will do so everyday until i get a new tank through as will order tomorrow. Do I need to add anymore meds as I will be changing the water so often?

I am most grateful for your help
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 19/5/2013 21:59
Re: goldfish has fungus and swimming into air bubbles! #8
Hi

Well 75 litres is going to be much better than what they're currently in, and with regular large water changes will be OK for a while until you can go bigger.

When you first get the new tank, the filter won't have any "good" bacteria to deal with the fish waste so you'll need to move the media (sponges etc) from the 19 litre into the new filter and monitor ammonia and nitrite carefully every day until the filter can cope. Come back when you have the new tank for more detailed advice on that.

In the meantime it will benefit them greatly to do daily water changes (make sure to dechlorinate the new water). If you can get yourself a bottle of Seachem Prime to use as your dechlorinator it will also help detoxify any ammonia and nitrite and is one of the few that doesn't interfere with medications.

A good treatment that deals with fin rot and fungus is eSHa 2000. This is used over three days, but would involve recalculating the dose to compensate for water changes - if you can get some of that, I'll happily help you work out the correct dose. If you can't get Prime and eSHa 2000 locally, they are available from Aquacadabra by mail order and there's a discount for FK members here.

Try not to worry or blame yourself; the shop gave you bad advice, but the most important thing is that you're willing to sort out the problem, so that's great, and we'll help all we can.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 19/5/2013 22:12
Re: goldfish has fungus and swimming into air bubbles! #9
Also, should i split them into two tanks?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 19/5/2013 22:14
Re: goldfish has fungus and swimming into air bubbles! #10
If you mean keep one in the 19 litre tank, no, they will be better off both in the 75 litre