ALLYMACD ALLYMACD
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 17:21
Are Angel fish prone to digestive problems? #1
Hi all!

The last two single angel fish I've kept have died in the same manner. Both have happily lived for months without any problems and will fead on a diet of mini pellets with a change to a frozen food like Bloodworms, Brineshrimp or Daphina every few days, but eventually both have experienced problems digesting their food and would spit it out, then they'd stop eating all together and die after a few days without food. Is this a common problem with Angelfish? I'd like to get another for my tank as I think they're lovely looking fish with a great personality but this has put me off getting anymore as I fear the same thing will happen again.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 17:37
Re: Are Angel fish prone to digestive problems? #2
Hole in the head certainly, some issues with head and lateral line ulcers are reported too. pH issues often trigger illness and death with this species.

What's your tank pH and GH. General waning and then death as opposed to sudden death (i.e. from illness) can be related to pH
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
ALLYMACD ALLYMACD
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 17:44
Re: Are Angel fish prone to digestive problems? #3
The last Angelfish died a couple of weeks ago but my tanks ph is always at a stable 7. I'd have to check the Gh.
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 17:53
Re: Are Angel fish prone to digestive problems? #4
Can you confirm Nh3,NO2 and NO3?
Tank size and stock?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 17:54
Re: Are Angel fish prone to digestive problems? #5
A previous adviser here had them/rescued them and bred them too. His observations were as follows. May be helpful perhaps?

Quote:
Ph and Angels works out thus. Below ph 6 they start to get metabolic issue and die young, often making no more than four years, at 6.5 they make full and often long longevity, are better insulated from potential ammonia and nitrite spikes and typically grow very well. SAME FOR ABOUT PH 6.8, BUT THEY BREED A LITTLE BETTER AT 6.8 AND THE FRY SURVIVAL IS BETTER, SO FOR ME, 6.8 IS THE DEAD ON PEAK AND OPTIMUM RANGE FOR ANGELFISH together with temps smack on 79f, a little tannin or blackwater extract in the water, and good oxygenation with gentle flow. It?s the best compromise that allows for fry survival and long term keeping making looking after them effortless.

At ph 7 they often do ok, making 6 years ish, but often the max growth potential is affected, they are also a little more susceptible to pop eye and water peram shocks at time of water changes.

At 7.5 things start to go pear shaped with immuno loss, even though they may breed though fry survival rates are very poor, and some dwarfing even in larger tank volumes. They make an average of 3 years; I have reversed damage done to angels kept at these higher ranges as long as the fish got to me before it was 6 months old. Longevity is around 3 year?s average.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
ALLYMACD ALLYMACD
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 18:05
Re: Are Angel fish prone to digestive problems? #6
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 10-20 ppm

Tank size 70 litres. The tank currently stocks an adult platy, four young mollies and a female Betta. Temp 27deg.
Edit- Forgot about the Black Neon Tetras, four of them as well.
Thanks for that article Violet!
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 18:19
Re: Are Angel fish prone to digestive problems? #7
Not sure what exactly killed your angels but I think it's stress that weaken and expose them to illness -> death is the result.

First thing is angels are peaceful but betta is not. Betta will be extremely aggressive to angels and they're good fighters so angels will be harrased.

70l is way to small for angels, again this is not enough swimming/hiding space for them which cause them to stress.

Now with your stock, platy and mollies are hard water fish while betta and neons are soft water fish. It's best to choose only soft or hard water fish and rehome the others.

Betta might get fin-nipped by neons and that will stress him/her. Also getting fin-nipped will expose the fish to bacteria infection/fungus.

Neon are shoal fish and must be kept in group of at least 6 individual. The more the better.

It seems like you'll have to work on your stock again
ALLYMACD ALLYMACD
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 18:33
Re: Are Angel fish prone to digestive problems? #8
Thanks for the advice! They've all been in the tank for a while now without any fighting or problems except for the angel dying. Had the four neons since I got this tank about a year and a half ago. It was Pets At Home who adivised me to get a shoal of four at the time as I was just starting out with tropical fish then but to be fair they are happy enough. The angel was actually the boss of the tank before he died and would chase the platy & betta away at feeding time, the betta is very peaceful and doesn't bother any of the other fish at all.
I've purchased a 180 litre tank which I plan on using as a community tank when I get it set up so I'll wait until then before I consider another angel.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 18:44
Re: Are Angel fish prone to digestive problems? #9
The angel was the boss simply because he's bigger.

Molly and platy has been fine because they're hardy. And so neon and betta.... but angels are not, that's why they die so fast in an unsuitable tank.

Still you should pick soft or hard water fish when you get your 180l.
Pet shops usually give poor advice and care more about profit to be honest
ALLYMACD ALLYMACD
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 18:54
Re: Are Angel fish prone to digestive problems? #10
Thanks, once I gett the other tank set up I'll sort the stock out and keep one tank for hard water fish and the other for soft.
My Cichlid tank's been up and running for a few weeks now and everything seems to be going well so far *touch wood*